UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss My first ever job (feb 06) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Matty A

firsttilingjob.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Hey,

Nice work. Very well done for the first time.

*Possible* Improvements (can't really fully comment without being there): The wall tiling, if you'd have moved it down so that the tile finished level with the top of the window, you'd have saved having that small cut under it and it should fit in with the floor and the ceiling still. Also the flooring, if you'd have moved it over to the right to get half tiles and full tiles (also getting rid of the small cut) would that have caused any problems over to the left, near the bath?

M

Matty A

tanks for your comments admin
i tried to have as much of a full tile along the top of the bath which i thought would look best with them being such large tiles (400 by 400) and the floor is where it is because is in the centre of the door way so you see a nice straight run of tile as you enter the bathroom and i realised after as you say i should have moved it to the right and still lined up with the centre of the door.
Its done now and i sure as hell aint taking it off and doing it again i was knackered by the time i finished. :)

S

scott70

Hi matt, for a first job it is excellent. I can imagine how you felt when you finished. You get an enormous sense of pride when you complete, and are happy with your first job.

Nice work, hope you got paid well for it? Alot of guys are guilty of underpricing a job when they start out, purely because they don't factor in all the costs that they have to meet. I was the same.

Good stuff!

B

biffa69

Hi R6Robbo, I started on my own July 06 and didn't have a week day off upto xmas, found loads of work in my area. As a very rough guide, I charge about £400 to fix ceramic wall tiles in an average sized bathroom (8' x 7') and that takes me 3-5 days depending largely on the state of the walls, and about £150 for the floor which doesn't include plyboarding out and it will generally take me 1-2 days - includes all materials. I find the job can sometimes gets a bit tedious but still the best move I ever made. Job satisfaction is pretty damn high come completion and I love the freedom that comes with self employment.

How you finding it Matty

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to My first ever job (feb 06) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

123 Year Old Johnson Tiles Factory to Close Down Causing 110 Job Losses 123 Year Old Johnson...
Replies
Views
Hello! I'm buying natural stone for floor in my house. Wife would like to do a French pattern...
Replies
Views
Hi there, We have red quarry tiles in our indoor entrance hall and my wife would like to paint...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.