Discuss My First Tiling Job in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Hi folks

I have just started my 2nd year in college diploma level 2 wall and floor tiling.

I will be doing my first job in two weeks time which is kitchen walls and floor. The wall tiles 200x100 ceramic and the floor tiles 300x300 Slate effect porcelain from topps tiles.

Could you please advise me as to what cutters would be best suited for the job.

I have been thinking of getting a rubi or sigma manual tile cutter which can cut both tiles (bit of an all rounder that will cover most jobs) and either a grinder or wet saw for L shapes that will cut porcelain and ceramic.

My budget for now is £400 so was thinking of getting a good manual cutter and grinder and then buying a good wet cutter after xmas when I get for pennies together.

Thanks

G

Gazzer

If I were you I would look around what is available 2nd hand. This way you would be able to get A wet cutter, dry cutter and an angle grinder and still leave some money for a decent wheel in the grinder.
As for what dry cutter it would depend on what you feel comfortable with but really needs to cut a 600mm tile.
The plasplugs/Vitrex wet cutters can be a very good buy but make sure the wheel runs true as this is the only real bad point that can spoil it.
A new grinder should set you back around £60, Makita is a favourite.

area tiling

TF
Arms
n.ireland
I'd go for a sigma 3b , cuts tiles up to 600 and 20mm thick ! Diatech have them on offer for £199! Professional Bosch range grinder for me, with a montolit blade roughly £90 for both ! Plasiplugs wet saw , master tiler range from B&Q ! Is more than enough to get you going , you might even have enough left over for a pint or two if you shop around! Good luck

I have been using the rubi ts 50 plus in college but I am a bit concerned that it will not handle the porcelain tile. Really like the sound of the sigma 3bm or the rubi tx700 n for the breaking power on porcelain and the push handle. Will the sigma 3bm cut porcelain and ceramic with the same wheel or do I need different wheels for different tiles like the rubi tx 700.

These makita grinders sound really good. So would I need just a standard grinder and then buy a good wheel for it.

Would the Plasiplugs wet saw master tiler handle porcelain and if so do I need a porcelain blade for the wet cutter.

I know this might be a silly question but do the sigmas come with a carry case?? Think I am going for either the sigma 3bm max or the 3cm max. Grinder will be either the makita 115mm or the bosch 115mm with a marcrist ck850 blade.

I'm going to wait to get a wet saw because would prefer to get a good quality saw that can handle porcelain no probs. My budget just won't stretch that far at the moment and don't wanna buy a wet saw and then want to replace it for a better one.

Thanks for the help guys

area tiling

TF
Arms
n.ireland
No, but you can buy them from dave at trade tiler , which fits up to the 75cm cut models!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 57
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to My First Tiling Job in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views
I’m halfway through tiling a shower cubicle at home. First time doing any tiling. I’ve used...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB