Discuss nedlley in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

nedlley

hi to all here hopefully someone can help
i tiled a floor 200sq m porcelain the tiles became loose a few months later. bostik and the tile supplier said their products were perfect each blaming the other. Isent samples to a lab and they detected the tiles were contaminated with excessive magnesium preventing adueqate bonding. has anyone heard of this before? the tile supplier want to stick the loose tiles with some super polymer enriched glue but im hesitant to let them touch anything. has anyone any ideas how i should proceed? i estimate to remove the present tiles skirting kitchen door frames etc retile and refit all of above will cost approx 30 to 40k euro!
i would be grateful of your advice tnx nedlley

N

nedlley

hi thanks for your replies, it is my own house that the job is in or rather the mess! the lab tests have shown that the tiles are contaminated but the tile supplier just wants to use a super rich polymer adhesive to re stick the "currently" loose tiles. even though he accepts the lab found contamination on the tiles he is intimating that "maybe all tiles are like that" and if i had of chosen a much more expensive adhesive the problem may not have occured. However when i purchaswd the tiles from him he never said i had to use a super rich polymer glue. A bostik slow set flexi adhesive was used which the tile supplier,tiler,and adhesive supplier say is the correct adhesive for the job. ANY MORE COMMENTS WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED, Thanks NED

N

nedlley

hi thanks for your reply, the tile is a 60x60 cm crema marfil double carga full bodied polished porcelain tile.
the makers name is FOSHAN CHANCHENGSHANGYLUAN OULIAN CONSTRUCTION CERAMIC LTD,
NO. 3 SHINAN ROAD NANZHUANG FOSHAN CHINA
i have a ce cert if its genuine im not sure! EN 14411;2006 25201001018 IQCTC ofFSCIQ MAY 11 2010
I had the tile and adhesive samples tested by CERAM LTD the head of the lab said he had never seen such severe magnesium growth/contamination before. in lay terms this magnesium is really like talcum powder but the tile is not dusty if you rub it.

S

Spud

if the tiles have a ce certificate the tile supplier may not have been aware that the tiles were faulty when he sold them to you, he probably bought them in good faith as you did from him ,its never simple when failures such as this happens and in an ideal world you would expect this to be easy and the tile supplier to refund you the money for the tiles and pay for the work to be rectified but at such a huge cost i dont think many would to be able to afford such a large bill, good luck with this and please let us know what the outcome is

Reply to nedlley in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

T
Hello I’ve been setting tile for 35 years, however I’m now retired and moved from Wisconsin to...
Replies
Views
Topshop
T

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
nedlley
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.