Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Need advice on preperation in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

Elaine 329

Hi actually I cant find the link to ask a fresh question but I am just about to have my first try at tiling my bathroom floor.
The bathroom used to be an old ladies wet room. I ripped up the vinyl no problem but there is a rubbery adhesive left around the edges which I am guessing I need to remove so the ceramic tiles will stick properly.
How do I remove the adhesive? I know there will be some sort of solvent that would do it but the bathroom is downstair and there is no door so I wont be able to keep the dog from being nosy and anyway I avoid using anything noxious if I can. I have gradually been removing it around the edge using a wallpaper steamer. Does anyone have any other suggestions to make it a quicker process. Would a paint stripper work but then I don't actually have one!!!

E

Elaine 329

Yes sorry I should have said its a concrete floor.

I have never come across the latex stuff before. What's it like? Does it look and behave like self leveling compound? There is no wall at one end at the moment to form the other edge (if that makes sense) as when the plumber comes in he intends to fit the bath before the stud wall is built!

The existing 'bathroom' is directly off the kitchen so I am having part of the bathroom sectioned off with a stud wall to make a small lobby between the two.

I hope that makes sense.

I was fairly happy steaming the floor to gradually undermine the latex adhesive but there seems to be more where the loo is and that will be impossible to deal with until the loo is removed and it is the only one I have as there is not a cloak room........ short of using a bucket!!!

Ken Bruty

TF
Arms
Bedford
Yes sorry I should have said its a concrete floor.

I have never come across the latex stuff before. What's it like? Does it look and behave like self leveling compound? There is no wall at one end at the moment to form the other edge (if that makes sense) as when the plumber comes in he intends to fit the bath before the stud wall is built!

The existing 'bathroom' is directly off the kitchen so I am having part of the bathroom sectioned off with a stud wall to make a small lobby between the two.

I hope that makes sense.

I was fairly happy steaming the floor to gradually undermine the latex adhesive but there seems to be more where the loo is and that will be impossible to deal with until the loo is removed and it is the only one I have as there is not a cloak room........ short of using a bucket!!!

You are correct in thinking that latex and slc are the same thing, there are two types - one is single part where you just add water to cement like powder, which you then pour onto the floor and trowel it with a screeding trowel, or a two part, where you pour a latex milk in with a bag of powder (usually 1 bottle , 1 bag) and apply in the same manner. It's best to enclose the area you are screeding with wooden battens or some kind of edging to stop the screed running away until it's dry enough to walk on, then you can remove them, and there you have a prepared floor with a great surface on which to tile.:thumbsup:

Reply to Need advice on preperation in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

First time poster here. For some context, I have a (mostly finished) tiny home with some really...
Replies
Views
I’m halfway through tiling a shower cubicle at home. First time doing any tiling. I’ve used...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought a house dated around the 1920/30s and found black and white tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am in the middle of renovating my bathroom. First of its kind for me! The walls were...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Need advice on preperation
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.