UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Need help and advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Dabigshow

Hi,

I am about to start tiling my bathroom this coming weekend. I would like advice on whether to tile over the existing wall tiles, or to remove the existing tiles and start from scratch. The tiles that are already on the wall are in good condition, although they are a very bad colour :)
What are the pro's and cons of tiling over existing tiles? Any advice on this?? I have never done any tiling before and would really appreciate some help on this.

Many Thanks

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Seach the forum for tile on tile and you'll get some info but just to say again what i've said in the past.....

Pro's
- nice flat surface to tile

Cons
- Not knowing what the background condition is like behind the existing tiles (it could be too heavy once tiled again)

Tap the tiles that are on, if they sound solid (you'll have to learn how to spot that one by tapping them all, you'll see some not so solid fixed ones I guess that tap funny) then you might be safe to tile. Plaster can carry 20kg's per meter and plasterboard 32kg's, so if it's plaster, take them off, if they don't sound fixed to well, take them off.

I'd take them off anyway to be honest. It could save you some hassle in the future.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
You have to make sure that the tiles are free from dust and dirt. You need to check they are fixed right by using the 'tap method' (tapping htem with something solid to listen out for a hollow sound, if you find a hollow patch, pull them off). You then score the surface of them to enable the adhesive to get a good bond to the surface and the biscuit of the tile (assuming they're ceramics). Use BAL poducts if possible or something just as good (BAL isn't the cheapest around to be honest). Just doing a search for similar threads for you.

D

Deleted member 15

I dont suppose anybody knows anything about electrics at all?

My girlfriend has just phoned me and she has just got home and noticed that the refirdgerator and freezer are not working. The are both next to each other and are situated underneath the hob. They are separate appliances. Any idea's?:sad_smile: :icon8:

check the fuse box, it might have just tripped

C

CON5933

I left work early as the food inside the freezer and fridge would have started defrosting...went home and found that she had "Accidentally" his the on\off switch with either the hoover or mop and switched them off. I just needed to press the "On" button and Hey Presto!!

Crisis over
:happy:

I'm trying to picture this...... the actual turning off of the things....

1) Your sockets are very close to the floor...?

2) Your wife uses a very high wheel base 4X4 off road type of land rover hoover...?

3) She is very thorough and was mopping and hoovering the walls...?

:wink_smile:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Need help and advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Some helpful advice/opinion would be appreciated... Existing tiles on walls, some of the walls...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.