Discuss New Bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rusty107

Hi everyone

Firstly thanks to all the replies on previosu threads, very helpful and a great forum.

This weekend I will finally get around to starting to tile, I was going to tile the floor first then the walls. I would just like some advice and guidance on the following.

Floor tiles - As there will be a bath and partition wall with WC should I still tile from the centre of the room outwards or from a position in the middle of whats visible (if that makes sense!?)
Wall tiles - These will be half tiled from the floor, the walls are MR plasterboard (one wall) recently plastered (2 walls) and I will prime with SBR prior to tiling. We have decided to go for a 'brick' pattern any tips on setting this out and starting point(s)? The other wall will be full tiles as it is over bath/shower. How can I ensure all walls lign up or is it ok if a few mm out?

Finally! - Any tips on finishing off in particular where the wall meets the floor?

Thanks again for any help :)

The pic might help? Bathroom floorplan.jpg

Cheers

Rusty

Last edited by a moderator:
R

retirementdiyer

Hi Rusty,
I'm not a professional but am just finishing my bathroom and so am sympathetic to your queries.
I understand your question on the floor tiles and would say center on the "visible" floor space. When you walk into your new bathroom (good diagram!) you will see the floor space in front of you and not the plan of the room.
For the wall tiles, I definitely made sure all walls lined up horizontally (3 walls fully tiled)! I used a level to make sure. As for starting point, I used 400 x 250 (landscape) but chose the principal focal point for each wall. E.g. For bath side wall I installed double sided bath with bath filler in centre, so the tiles on that wall centred on the middle. Then on next wall the main focal was the window. I centred on that but optioned on a tile in the centre or a grout line in the middle according to how the tiles then met in the corner (I wanted a half tile on one wall to meet about a half tile on the adjacent wall). The same for the wash basin on the other wall.
Importantly I actually invested alot of time (as I said I am not a pro, so infact maybe 2 or 3 hours) planning and then I sketched a couple row of tiles on the wall with a marker pen to see how it looks. This was a good idea for me as this is where I spotted a mistake of where one wall met the other. I imagine that the pros can mark and identify these immediately, they are highly skilled after all!

I

Ian

Hello rusty, here are a couple of pointers and answers to some of your questions. Firstly check your tiles are flat and are not bowed (this is key as you are planning a brick bond pattern, bowed tiles will cause lipping), with a brick bond set out two full rows to see how they meet in the corners of the room and around any obstacles (windows, doors etc), also when going around a corner try to keep the pattern flowing, ie. if you finish a row on one wall with a half tile, try to start the next wall with a half tile (there or there abouts), so visually the pattern looks wrapped around the corner. As mentioned above, it's worth drawing on the walls exactly where you want the tiles to go so you can see if any adjustments need to be made. With regards to your question about the wall/floor join, leave a 2mm gap and silicone it. Post some pictures as you go and ask as many questions as you feel necessary :thumbsup:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to New Bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB