Discuss New Business Advice?? Help!!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

AlexRobertson

Hey Folks!

Im new to the tiling world and need some advice and guidance if possible from all you pros!

I am looking to become a self employed tiler, and need advice on how to set my self up as a business and what I need to do, to become self employed?

Also any advice on the right tools to have and advertising etc would be great?

I currently work in a office and hate it :O( done a tiling course and feel ready to put in the hard work needed :O)

Cheers in advance

Alex

T

tfs

register with HMRC, get public liabilty insurance and go to your bank and ask for a business account. Get some business cards, headaded paper or invoices printed up and start advertising in local press or online directories.

If on a budget I would recommend the following;

Big clinker tile cutter (cuts mosaic up to 600mm square tile)
Budget wet cutter (£50)
Grout floats
Set of trowels 6,8,10,12mm
Mixing buckets
drill
Tile file
tape measure
set of levels
hole cutting set (diamond)

This is the basics and will get you started, as time goes on and you make moery upgrade to more luxury items.

A

AlexRobertson

Hi Guys!

Thanks TFS for all that info, very helpfull and apprieciated. Much was covered on my course but was so much to take in and was only covered at the end of the course briefly. So wanted some more professional advice from you guys!

Thanks for the concern re starting a business, but i am hoping to maybe go part time at work and for the other half of the week i hope to be able to build up my tiling business also :O)

Iv not had much experience yet, however i have a few jobs lined up for friends, so will use them as experience and also I am planning on doing my own kitchen and bathroom in the next few weeks.

I

Ian

Hey up mate, glad to hear you've got some work lined up for family/friends. That is the best way to start as you can take your time and learn from these. Every job you have under your belt will teach you something new and give you a little more confidence. The one thing you can't learn from a course is the massive variations in tiles, substrates etc that you will come across, only in time, and with experience will your knowledge grow. I genuinely learn something new every week if not every day. Try all the brands of adhesives and tools etc, find out what works best for you. All the best

Reply to New Business Advice?? Help!!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I'm a self employed tiler based in Wales and I'm looking to relocate to Newcastle...
Replies
Views
Good morning all, I havent been in the business of tiling long. With that being said as someone...
Replies
Views
Good morning, i took voluntary redundancy that kicks in at the end of September. I did a home...
Replies
Views
Hey guys! I am in need of some solid advice. I just had some terracotta tiles installed. It had...
Replies
Views
Reflow
R

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
New Business Advice?? Help!!!!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.