UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss New Business on a Budget! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Muse2k8

Hi all,

The time has come for me to take the step from employed (wasn't really a choice tbh) and to live the dream and start my own company.

I've decided to start small, just me and the van and build up the company as I go. First by getting a pal on board in a few months time and then hopefully building up from there.

Now my first issue is that I have little start up funds :( been a hard few months and as I stand I have all of my own tools for the plumbing side of the business minus one or two little things, and the following power tools; 14v cordless drill (Bosch), 18v cordless combo drill (Bosch), SDS 240v Makita and a circular saw.

Obviously I will be needing a few more tools so that when the first job comes in Im not having to go out and buy everything from a deposit but again I wont need to buy everything as the non essentials can be baught from that first deposit (or subsequent jobs as and when needed).

So other than tools I will need a van (maybe signwriting, very powerful but can I forego it for a few months?), van insurance and PLL insurance.

My budget is a maximum of £1000 (less would always be prefered as backup). Insurances I would look to ideally pay in installments (can you do this with PLL?). What tools SHOULD I get?

What van style/size would you reccomend?

All help, offers of items for sale, what items should I get to start with... I want my first job to go smoothly so that I can pile in the profits to get up to scratch fully.

ps. All online and marketing has been separately handled so is not a required issue for this post :)

Thanks guys and gals :)

M

Muse2k8

I'm a plumber with tiling experience :) going to be doing a highly reccomended course here in edinburgh though to boost my tiling knowledge up and give me some practice before I get out there for more hands on. Hopefully this way I can go out with more knowledge and be able to do the job well. Then over the years Ill get the experience of tiling too! But none of my previous tiling has been more than basic stuff. The boss had tilers on the payroll anyway...

D

Deleted member 1779

Well obviously we are going to push our tile drilling system capable of putting all the right holes into them tiles that you need
The bathroom fitters kit is online at £49.99 and forum members get a hefty discount - Just Ask for it!

bfk4.jpg

Ideal for those on a budget

405801_10150412561382014_617362013_8275118_1110251505_n.jpg

professional_builder3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Muse2k8

that's not much unfortunately, can't see you getting much for that, but you could buy cheap and upgrade when you can afford to. i would try avoid hp (or any debts if possible) i pay for my pl insurance monthly (around £12) but that doesn't cover hot work, blow torches etc which of course you will use. good luck with it and you're in the right place for advice:thumbsup:

Yeah I will be doing hot work too so that unfortunately bumps up the cost :( think the best quote I have had was £360 but Lloyds say they will beat that for me! That is for cover to 2mil and includes tool cover and *ahem*left in van*ahem* :whistle:

Im trying to look into grants too. Scotland seem to have a fair few options kicking about so always worth a look into it. Shame my dad has 5 years till he retires otherwise I would have been sorted :thumbsup:

Other than that it will be buy basic to get me through a few months till the money starts to trickle in...

M

MSB Tiling

If your going to buy an oldish van try and check it out as much as you can, get a mechanic if you can. I started up a exactly a year ago, bought a Citroen Berlingo for £1000, i had it 9 months and head gasket blew, in total id spent £3000 on the van and that didnt include getting the head gasket fixed. In the end ive got a new Nissan Primastar but at a cost on finance.

Its a difficult desision, buying a van outright means you obviously dont have any outgoings, which is good for 1st few months until you pick up more work, but it can go wrong at any point.

Although it cost me £3000 in 9 months I couldnt afford a new van when I first started so although its a lot it did work out better for me.

So all i can say is take you time looking for a van, dont rush as i did.

Mark

M

Muse2k8

Mike said:
what items do you have and what do you need? if you do need to borrow money for a van, borrow as little as possible and i'd prefer a bank loan rather than hire purchase

Why a bank loan over hp?

Already had plumbing stuff (being a plumber) so spent up £600 on tiling tools! Always made sure I don't buy too cheap but at the same time I don't have the funds to go too expensive. Don't really need anything else tool wise just yet.

Leaves me £400 towards insurances, vehicle and bits. Can get a vauxhall combo for £99 deposit and £100 a month from Peter vardy or a vivaro for £190 a month but that's hp. Monthly payments won't be an issue cos the missus earns well so if it's a quiet start as I've planned I won't struggle.

Reply to New Business on a Budget! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hi everybody, I've come up with a new way that I'd like the forum to work. I've built a quick...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hello, this is my first post so here goes, advice needed. It was decided that I should renovate...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.