Discuss New Ensuite Wetroom - Plasterboard wall Help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

darrena

Hi,

I have just started stripping out our dated old ensuite bathroom to begin preparation for a wet room.
Our house is about 10 years old and I need to build new stud walls as the cavitys are not deep enough to conceal the shower mixer and all the sink and toilet drainage etc.

Upon tearing the walls down I found they were made up of a single sheet of plaster board directly nailed up against a prefabriacted wall with like a honeycombe of paper in side.

I wanted to check that there is no regulation/or concerns as to the make of adjoining walls, I dont believe that any of these are supporting walls as there is little to no timber framework.

All I was going to do was to remove the single sheet of plasterboard, then remove the next sheet of plasterboard and honeycombe (leaving the otherside of the prefab wall in place then build a 50mm stud wall and fit new plasterboard or aqua panels facing in to the bathroom.
Due to the minimal width of the room I need to eek as much width as I can to make the design work!

If this makes sense does it sound ok?????

Thanks
Darren

W

White Room

Hi,

All I was going to do was to remove the single sheet of plasterboard, then remove the next sheet of plasterboard and honeycombe (leaving the otherside of the prefab wall in place then build a 50mm stud wall and fit new plasterboard or aqua panels facing in to the bathroom.
Due to the minimal width of the room I need to eek as much width as I can to make the design work!

You will find the honeycomb in the paramount will not be removed easily and you could posibably move the remaining board in the connecting room..

I would remove the single sheet of old board and replace with a new sheet and fix with gyproc sealant which comes in a tube
DriLyner RF - Drywall masonry lining system.

Tank when fixed

S

Scott

What tiles are you using? Paramount walls a re a real pain for tiling. I have done the same method you are suggesting and the results are ok, however it does involve a lot of maiking good to the old existing board in your other room. You have to screw the original board to your new stud work and the time you make good i have found its easier to take the wall out and replace it. The existing frame work for the paramount isnt strong enough to just hang a new sheet of board off at the paramount is designed to be a block with the honeycomb inside and is therefore stronger by design.

If you can id build and independant wall inside of the existing if you can.

Reply to New Ensuite Wetroom - Plasterboard wall Help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
D
Hi all, This forum has been a wealth of knowledge for me while i tackled our new build. A...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 59001
D

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
New Ensuite Wetroom - Plasterboard wall Help
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks