Discuss New floor in bathroom for tiling in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

tom_t

Hi,

I'm replacing part of the floor in my bathroom in preparation for tiling. Current floor has got big "hill" in the middle probably due to not enough space left for expansion.

Current floor is 22mm thick chipboard and I'm planning on replacing with 12mm chipboard topped with 9mm ply screwed 25-30cm centres, is it gonna be ok?
I'm trying to keep new floor as thin as possible to avoid big step into the bathroom.

Is 5mm gap on the edges enough for expansion?

Is it OK to tile just part of the floor? I want to leave area underneath the bath untiled.

I'm planning to prime ply with BAL Prime APD and then use BAL Rapidset Flexible adhesive Grey/White can I use same combination for walls?

I'm planning on installing shower over bath, do I have to tank wall where showerhead is going to be?

Thanks in advance.

G

grumpygrouter

Thanks guys for your rapid response.

grumpygrouter do you mean that instead of using 12mm chipboard + 9mm ply I could use 18mm or thicker ply on it's own? Isn't gonna deform?

BTW where I can buy thicker ply than 18mm? I couldn't find anything in B&Q or WICKES, any idea where to look?

Could someone advise on good internet shop for tiles?
Yes! and no it shouldn't as long as you have supported it properly, maybe put noggins between the joists for extra support if necessary. Ply is more stable than chipboard.

Also if you can find it, try using Ardex-flex 7001 and Ardex P51 primer. Brilliant stuff and designed specifically for timber floors!

Which ever adhesive you choose to use, always check out the manufacturers priming requirements BEFORE you lay your boards. They are not the same. BAL recommend sealing the backs and edges of ply with BAL Bond SBR and NO primer on the tile surface side. Ardex recommend polyurethane varnish on the back and edges AND P51 on the surface for tiling so just check these addy requirements first.

T

Turkish

Tom, as Grumpy says 18mm WBP ply then if you use say BAL products you can use SPF adhesive and still be safe in the knowledge that you are covered by their guarantee. You can leave the bit under the bath, no need to tile that as it will be covered by the bath panel. As for tanking the shower area, if it`s a power shower then yes it would be advisable but if just normal then you could leave it as is.

Turkish:thumbsup:

T

tom_t

thanks for all your replies...

I'm going to use 18mm Ply (unless I find something thicker)
BAL BOND SBR + BAL RAPIDSET FLEXI + BAL FLEXI GROUT
I might be putting some noggins although bathroom is rather small (1.90x1.70m) and joists are 400mm centres so it should be ok.

I'm also planning to tile bath panel using 9mm Ply, question is how to mount it to keep access under the bath in case of emergency? Magnets/hinges/screws?

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to New floor in bathroom for tiling in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
We're quoting to rip up and replace a tiled floor with Limestone tiles. I'm looking for advice...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB