Guest viewing is limited

Discuss New guy, considering a change of career in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Switching

Hi guys.
I'm the new guy.

I'm on here to help me gain more insight into becoming a tiler. Bit of background, spent a fair bit of my life in the Forces. Now I'm out and doing a management position in a customer service role. And its a good job but it's sucking my soul from my body, slowly but surely.
Always been a hands on type of lad and I am seeking a trade. Unfortunately I am in my thirties now and nobody hires apprentices at this age. That and I have a mortgage to pay.

So, I am considering doing a basic tiling course, then becoming a tiler as a 'side hustle' til I establish myself. Is this a worthy endeavour? I am a hard worker (especially when it's paying for my dinner) but are these types of week long intensive courses worth it? Do they make you competent?

Also, can anyone recommend me a course, ideally in Scotland. Be it a weekend long or weekends, not too bothered.

Thanks for having me

O

One Day

Hi. I started when i was 31. I was in a senior sales role and earned decent money with the usual mortgage and kids etc. It was a tough first few years, learning as i earned, but i love what i do now. Great satisfaction and i still can pay that same mortgage. Perhaps more important, i get to spend more time with my family now too.
I didn't go on any formal courses, other than BAL 1 and 2 day courses. They were brilliant. Don't overlook the training from the likes of BAL and Schluter, aswell as the paid-for courses!

S

Switching

Hi. I started when i was 31. I was in a senior sales role and earned decent money with the usual mortgage and kids etc. It was a tough first few years, learning as i earned, but i love what i do now. Great satisfaction and i still can pay that same mortgage. Perhaps more important, i get to spend more time with my family now too.
I didn't go on any formal courses, other than BAL 1 and 2 day courses. They were brilliant. Don't overlook the training from the likes of BAL and Schluter, aswell as the paid-for courses!

Thanks man. I am surprised that you for by with just a couple of days training!
What is BAL?

S

Switching

Reply to New guy, considering a change of career in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I’m halfway through tiling a shower cubicle at home. First time doing any tiling. I’ve used...
Replies
Views
Help! Advice needed please! I am in the middle of a bathroom renovation that my partner is...
Replies
Views
Hi there, Pleasure to meet you all. I’m after some help/advice please. After working in the...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond