Guest viewing is limited

Discuss New Guy Looking To Supplement Income... in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gumposam

Hi All,

Just wanted to say hello, My name is Sam, I'm 31 years old currently working in Digital Marketing in Cheshire - - Me and the Missus have our first child on the way in September, she's giving up work for the first few years, So I'm looking to supplement my income by taking up tiling part time. I've been on a practical course and I'm starting out with a few DIY type jobs for friends and family - nothing major just the odd splashback, cloakroom etc.

I do find tiling very therapeutic, something about the repetitive nature of it I guess, so who knows, maybe if I start to get enough interest I'll take it up full time - for now though I'm intending to do a few jobs evenings and weekends, nothing too ambitious to start with like I said.

It does interest me though as to what the best course (no pun int) into full time and commercial tiling would be - Obviously it takes skill and experience but I'd be glad to know how any professionals on here found their route into tiling - particularly after a career change.

Looking forward to chatting with all of you.

Cheers!

G

Gumposam

Hi and welcome to the forums, did the course you went on not tell you the ins and outs of how to start a tiling career or was it a basic DIY tiling course. You will find loads of info on here about tiling related matters, best ways to complete jobs etc, maybe not so much on how to start a tiling business
regards
Darren

Thanks mate - No it was a DIY course, concentrating pn getting tiles on walls, setting out, sorting out surfaces etc. I'm probably okay on the setting up side of things having started out myself in digital marketing - meaning I'll have no trouble generating enquiries. Unfortunately i just have no experience at the moment, other than a couple of small bits and bobs! From what I hear though I'll be able to find help around here :)

S

Spare Tool

Hi and welcome to the forums, did the course you went on not tell you the ins and outs of how to start a tiling career or was it a basic DIY tiling course. You will find loads of info on here about tiling related matters, best ways to complete jobs etc, maybe not so much on how to start a tiling business
regards
Darren
I did a week course with you Darren, must have been ten years ago now. Only came to learn how to tile my own bathroom and kitchen but you must have made an impression as gave up my job in printing soon after, first paying job was a full bathroom 600x300 brickbond using rapidset :( I'd like to go back and see the hash I made of that one. Now 9 years on into tiling can't think of anything id rather do..

Reply to New Guy Looking To Supplement Income... in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
I’m halfway through tiling a shower cubicle at home. First time doing any tiling. I’ve used...
Replies
Views
Hi Just after any advice on starting up as a tiler , same old stuck in a dead end boring job...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond