Discuss New house, too much bills, now im a tiler in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

ageless

Abit about myself to start off with. Been in the building game for 30 years and can turn my hands at tiling but by know means a pro like others on here. Im a plasterer by trade but have had my fair share of tiling work throughout the years to know what im doing. Have worked for tiling contractors through the years aswell but could never really take to it as full time because of a dodgey knee i got after a bad rugby game.

Anyway, im building my own house and have 2 bathrooms, 2 ensuites and my wife has just informed me a week ago that she now wants wet rooms in all ensuites instead of shower trays. Im not to shabby at tiling but ive never tiled a wet room in my life. ive seen plenty get installed on newbuilds ive worked on but didnt really stick about to get the ins and outs of whats involved. I remember the tilers using some sort of plastic wet room tray, can anyone point me in the right direction where id get all the info i need for installing these. If i could fit it nto the budget to pay a tiler to install the wetroom floors, i would but budget is really tight and have to finish them myself thou im very confident i can install without any problems.

Both ensuites will be installed on concrete floors and im near sure the plastic wet room trays where half inch, and tiles another half inch plus adhesive will give me just over an inch raised height, will it be best to grind out a half inch of concrete for said trays.

When taking shower area, because its a wet room, will i have to tank whole room or just shower area.

Is there anything else id need to know for making a wet room.

P

p4ulo

Schluter products if money is no object, I've had some brilliant results with watching out for Schluter stuff on Ebay and bagged some bargains.
With reference to floor height, depends if you can get the waste and everything in under the concrete too?? I had to build up the floor of the one I did in our flat, it ended up being about 10 inches off the floor cos I was cutting into an old Cast-Iron waste pipe, I put a step in and its not too bad!
MARMOX do a very decent looking range of cut-to-fit shower trays with profile built into them, with waste fittings which integrate well.
Tanking......Deffo do any areas that water will hit walls and do all places where walls meet the floor. I used Schluter KERDI-LINE, bit like wall-papering but once you get the hang of it, bullet proof!

Good Luck.
Schluter do some excellent courses on Wet-Room installs, even if you don't fancy using their stuff, do a course to understand the principles. Also - YOU TUBE is great for guidance videos, people are so helpful nowadays!

C

cone

Abit about myself to start off with. Been in the building game for 30 years and can turn my hands at tiling but by know means a pro like others on here. Im a plasterer by trade but have had my fair share of tiling work throughout the years to know what im doing. Have worked for tiling contractors through the years aswell but could never really take to it as full time because of a dodgey knee i got after a bad rugby game.

Anyway, im building my own house and have 2 bathrooms, 2 ensuites and my wife has just informed me a week ago that she now wants wet rooms in all ensuites instead of shower trays. Im not to shabby at tiling but ive never tiled a wet room in my life. ive seen plenty get installed on newbuilds ive worked on but didnt really stick about to get the ins and outs of whats involved. I remember the tilers using some sort of plastic wet room tray, can anyone point me in the right direction where id get all the info i need for installing these. If i could fit it nto the budget to pay a tiler to install the wetroom floors, i would but budget is really tight and have to finish them myself thou im very confident i can install without any problems.

Both ensuites will be installed on concrete floors and im near sure the plastic wet room trays where half inch, and tiles another half inch plus adhesive will give me just over an inch raised height, will it be best to grind out a half inch of concrete for said trays.

When taking shower area, because its a wet room, will i have to tank whole room or just shower area.

Is there anything else id need to know for making a wet room.

You can use the tray and build up with waterproof board and tank all area if you wish. You'll be just over an inch higher that the hall floors seeing as the board will be half inch, tiles half inch and also addy.

C

cone

Nice video! Can you tell me this, how quick does the wet room adhesive take before it starts going off, I'm hoping it ain't quick and I get caught out. When cutting the diagonal lines near the trap, can I use a sigma or is it better to use a wet saw.

Best to use a large wet saw IMO thou iv seen it don with a sigma, how common this is I dont know. Is it possible with a small wet saw, yes, but only if you have a good eye for cutting straight lines with large tiles because the lines will be diagonal through the tiles.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to New house, too much bills, now im a tiler in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hi All So around 10 years ago (i had no idea it was that long ago until i looked up the order...
Replies
Views
Hi I’m just about to renovate small bathroom and replace bath with shower. We have very hard...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB