Discuss New houses... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Can't stand new builds. Never liked just studied walls. Had a mate trip on the stairs drunk over Xmas in his house which is a new build and be ended up going through the wall into the kitchen. Loads of work needs to be done now. If it was a brick house he'd have hurt his head but its just be a bit of touching up plaster if anything at all.

Never done one with metal work but I'd imagine its just as annoying.

Can't beat the good old brick builds.

D

DHTiling

It's not just me then? Lol
How are you guys prepping these? On the last one I did, I drilled holes in the plaster boards and squirted expanding foam In. It made the wall a bit stiffer, but still could've done with something else I think.

If they flex like hell , then my bro has taken them apart and studded in between to stiffen up... not had probs with TGI floors though , apart from an en-suite we did last summer, again floor up and nogged etc to stiffin it up..

beanz

TF
Berkshire
We use CLS and it does work .. but it does depend on the metal lay out.. and if you can get a fixing to sole plate and header... also double boarding helps.. :)

Dave, do you cut into the metal and slot the CLS in? And do you trim the CLS down, as i find it about 2/3mm too thick usually, which causes bows in the wall. This stuff really is the bane of my life lol!

D

DHTiling

Dave, do you cut into the metal and slot the CLS in? And do you trim the CLS down, as i find it about 2/3mm too thick usually, which causes bows in the wall. This stuff really is the bane of my life lol!

Use the CLS along the wall length and this will build out the that depth , if you get my drift... so the CLS depth is further out than the steel / notch around the metal..

best bet is to slap the house builder for using it in the first place :lol:

beanz

TF
Berkshire
Use the CLS along the wall length and this will build out the that depth , if you get my drift... so the CLS depth is further out than the steel / notch around the metal..

best bet is to slap the house builder for using it in the first place :lol:

The chance would be a good thing lol! :lol:

Cheers for the advice, i'll have to give that a bash..

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Dan, I hear ya! Although they haven't built solid brick houses round here for a very long time. I'm ok with normal wooden stud though. At least it's easy to add a few noggins if necessary.. ;)

Not seen one built anywhere for a long time. Hell, I was born in 82 and I don't actually think I've seen one built with brick internals anywhere but on grand designs.

And councils used to even build then with brick back in the day. They don't build at all now but if they did, they'd be shockingly poor to work on I'm sure.

It's a shame people (and banks who provide the funding, or used to) don't consider brick built houses more valuable than modern thrown up gaffs that just look smart short term.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to New houses... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB