UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss New member with a quick question! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

stott

Hi everyone,

I'm new on here, been reading through for months though coming up to starting my ensuite project and this site has been the business fair play.

I'm currently in the middle of it now and have a quick question.

I've removed the plaster from the walls, primed all with bal apd, tanked shower area with wp1 and tiled with travertine brick mosaic using bal rapidset flex (white), I've got norcros jasmine grout ready to complete it, and hg inpregnator too.

I masked the tray up and lipped the tanking onto it so it sits just behind the tile, but I'm confused as to the sealing of the tray.

If I seal between the tray and the tiles now, then what happens to the water that goes through the tiles and runs down the tanking? It seems to me that it would just sit there or have to make its way back through the tile/grout to drain off. In fact I read a post somewhere where the guy was complaining that his tray to tile seal was going mouldy but when he scraped it out to redo it water streamed out that was being held behind the tile.

Can anyone explain this for me please? :)

Cheers
Stott

S

stott

Thanks and I understand that bit, but my question is relating to the seal where the tiles meet the tray.

It seems to me that sealing this after tanking creates a similar scenario to sealing a shower enclosure internally, ie the water can get in but not out.

I just don't get why you would lip the tanking onto the tray, then seal it up so no water running down the tanking lip can escape.

Cheers
Stott

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
You'd use the tanking to seal the tray to the wall. Then without tile, the water would always run into the tray and down the drain. If you use that method, you'd only sticking tiles on to clean easily and look nice.

You'd then just use a small silicone bead which is required as the surfaces will expand and retract at different rates and if you used grout, it would fail eventually at that point (crack or fall out even).

If you used epoxy to seal and didn't tank, then the surface of the tiles becomes the water proofing, and the silicone is then an actual seal to prevent water getting behind there at all.

No need for both methods in one shower area though. And as epoxy is more expensive and takes longer to use than tanking systems, it's only really specified in certain areas.

S

Stef

Hi, if you seal the travertine & the grout then it would only ever be a minute amount of water that would pass through to the substrate, ie tanking.

As said above it will either evaporate out or find its own way back out.

Cut out & replace the silicone if it does end up really mouldy.

Unless you are really thorough & clean & wipe down after every use & have good ventilation then i think its a hard job keeping mould a bay.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Ok thanks, so I've wp1d the walls, grouted with regular grout (non epoxy) and left a gap of 3-4mm to the tray which is currently open.

I get what you mean about sealing it up for aesthetic readons but was worried that I was sealing in all the water the tanking would "catch"

Cheers for the quick reply

Did you make sure that when you grouted you "pushed" the grout in both directions to completely fill the joint. If you do not fill the joint completely then the depth of grout will vary therefore providing a shorter distance for water to penetrate.
If you have sealed tiles and grout then this will act as another barrier but it is always best practice to fill the joint fully.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to New member with a quick question! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hello, First post here on the forum. Thanks for reading! I have an application for 1"...
Replies
Views
Hey all, New to the forum so go easy ;) I've finished tiling my bathroom floor with honed...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
As an introduction, I'm a DIY home owner who has gutted the bathroom in a house built in 1980...
Replies
Views
Tony R
T

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.