Discuss New Oldie in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

dougmontgomery

Hi,

Been lurking around the forum for the last couple of days and began to feel a bit voyeuristic - which is not a comfortable feeling. So, I decided to pluck up courage and introduce myself so I can better benefit from the forum.

My name is Doug Montgomery and Ive just finished an 8 week course with Able Skills. You leave there on a bit of an optimistic high, but with each week without work I can feel myself getting more and more daunted at the prospect of my first job. One thing thats struck me since reading some of the posts is how varied each job is and how little I know, as opposed to how much I thought I'd learned. It did occur to me that it might just be a bit arrogant to assume I could waltz into this profession and compete with time-served guys after 8 weeks. The course suggests making a living is possible after a short course without actually stating outright that you can leave and tile like a pro, but the reality soon dawns on you and has taught me more respect is due.

I've a bit of dilemma in that I'm a (fitter than most) 53 year old and I need to get earning asap. My wife is supporting us at the moment, but she had cancer last year and its taken the stuffing out of her. I want to relieve her of all burden if possible. For the last 12 years Ive been working as a painter and decorator (in between studying for a Degree - long story) just doing domestic jobs. But its getting so my previous customers have had everything done they need doing for the foreseeable, and the competition in London when giving estimates means you almost have to give your work away. I stopped advertising three years ago and in that short time the conventional strategy trades use to get work has changed radically, what with the advent of Trust a Trader etc.

I've a degree in product Design and a post graduate Diploma in Interior Design but had to park my ambitions with this when my Mrs got cancer.

When doing the Tiling course, the tutor gave me a lot of confidence by saying that mine was the best mosaic he'd seen in some time - I know this was a genuine observation because he could be very blunt and critical (in a well meaning way) to the point where a couple of blokes left halfway through the course not knowing how to take him.

Ive built a website but having no portfolio I'm relying on the visual appeal of the site to land my first customer, obviously theres no gallery of work yet. The homepage image is a picture I set and took myself using two sheets of mosaic tile and a rubber duck. Ive also had some A6 size postcards printed with the same design as the front of the website. If anyone has any suggestions as to improvements to the website or cards, I'd be grateful - its here www.douglastile.co.uk

Basically I'd like any pointers you have time to give regarding finding work. Since I stopped using Yell.com a few years ago, I'm not sure it is worth using these days. But Yell is free for a local listing and its a format I'm familiar with so I'm wondering, is it worth paying for increased exposure?

I live in London SE27, but no longer have a van. We're living pretty much hand to mouth. My supplementary strengths I suppose are my design skills. I did some styling work for Conran and was 'talent spotted' by Heals while still a student and exhibited my furniture in the window of their main branch in Tottenham Court Road. It'd be good to incorporate my design skills - if you know of any builders who'd benefit from that kind of input? I'd offer this for free as I love design. As I say I've parked my design ambitions for now out of necessity and because design is a profession you build like a jigsaw, preferably whilst working as an intern which is why it favours youth. Also, it helps if you're young and pretty starting out, but I'm old and not exactly giving George Clooney any sleepless nights.

Any encouragement or suggestions would be really appreciated.

Hope I've not gone on too long.

Doug

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
Welcome doug. Sorry to hear about your wife its nver nice when something like that happens. .

As your finding out tiling is not as easy as some will lead you to believe. ...thats not to say you won't make it. Some very good tilers on this site have come through the course route. Just keep in mind your competing against tilers with years of experience so it may take some time. Might help if you could work with another tiler for a time to build up some experience. ...and keep reading the forum for hints...good luck. ..:thumbsup:

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
I pay for a higher ranking on yell.com it has allowed me to up load 30 photos of my tiling and I get alot of work from it.....it cost me around £250 a year that includes a small add in the yellow pages and it pays for it self ten times over..

I also have a web site and a small add in the local parish magazine. ....This keeps me nice and busy. .:thumbsup:

D

dougmontgomery

I pay for a higher ranking on yell.com it has allowed me to up load 30 photos of my tiling and I get alot of work from it.....it cost me around £250 a year that includes a small add in the yellow pages and it pays for it self ten times over..

I also have a web site and a small add in the local parish magazine. ....This keeps me nice and busy. .:thumbsup:

Thanks Andy, thats really encouraging. I had had a chat with a Yell rep on the phone who gave me a lot of assurances, but I was wary it was sales talk. Your experience of it has helped me make a decision - sounds worth the £250 (similar quote to the one I was given). Cheers, really appreciated :thumbsup:

Hello & Welcome Doug,
sorry about partially jumping in but Andy, do you recommend advertising in Yell?

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
Hello & Welcome Doug,
sorry about partially jumping in but Andy, do you recommend advertising in Yell?

It works for me. .....you need to go to town on it. Upload photos of your work. Get customers to leave feed back. Link your website to it. Sets you appart from the rest. And paying for an add means you will be top of the page. ...:thumbsup:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to New Oldie in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views
A question about mitering and matching epoxy colour I'll be working with some pinkish matt...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB