Guest viewing is limited

Discuss New project, advice sought Electrical Advice in the Electrical Advice area at TilersForums.com.

New project, advice sought Discussion ThreadNew project, advice sought Electrical Advice

I'm starting a new project on Monday, new dental practice conversion from a shop.

Nothing new here, customer doesn't know what electrical heating they're having, doesn't know what electric hot water they're having, hasn't decided outlet locations, switch locations or just about any aspect of the electrical installation. There are various dental specific specifics they haven't confirmed as yet. The fire alarm and emergency lighting has been spec'd and laid out at least.

None of this worries me, we have 100A three phase on site which will be more than adequate for any eventually. We'll make it happen, we always do.

What they have planned, in meticulous detail, is c£10k worth of LED lighting, inlaid into plaster in a number of free flowing horizontal and vertical curves in multi layered plastered ceilings and walls, topping all skirts and wrapping all door casings.
The office are looking into how we can install this, my only stipulation is it has to be serviceable without damage when the inevitable failures start to occur.

Fortunately the LED suppler has been stipulated by the interior designer which gets us of the hook for the impending catastrophic failure of the inevitable pile of chinesium we'll have to install.

My plan is to route all the lights back to one location where all the drivers will be housed. I'm expecting 15-20 of them. This will all then be energized by a contactor/s, switched from the main lighting grid switch (if they ever decide where it will be located).

As an aside I've seen the colour scheme, picture an 70s curry house with garish LED lighting.

For now, there are no dimmers or sophisticated lighting controls and long may that continue.

I don't have any experience with these LED tapes and strips and was hoping for a heads up on any potential pitfalls.

My biggest concerns are serviceability, heat management and cabling, especially with lengthy runs of 24V cable.

Obviously the shock factor has gone but I am concerned about fire...

Read more

New project, advice sought for the original thread on Electricians Forums

Reply to New project, advice sought Electrical Advice in the Electrical Advice area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

Advertisement

Lou

Staff member
Admin
Staffordshire
Website
https://www.TilersForums.com
What member type are you?
  1. Support Rep (here to provide support only)
Business Name
TilersForums.com

Thread Information

Title
New project, advice sought Electrical Advice
Prefix
N/A
Forum
Electrical Advice
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
None

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • Kerakoll

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Ardex

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • Mapei

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • Ultra Tile

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • BAL

Votes: 25 29.4%