UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss New tilers tab. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

carlito

Hi guys fantastic resource for all new tilers this forum. I've been tiling all this year now and have basically been taught most things by being in here. One common problem with all new tilers appears to be the problem of trying to shadow and help out established tilers in order to gain some experience. Any chance of the moderators putting up a tab similar to the one showing (Available jobs) in order that we novices can put our names and addresses on and you more experience guys could draw on a pool containing new starters in your area for the odd occassion where you could do with an hand. What you guys think?

M

Mike

Fair point lads. Just searching for ways to make it a little easier for the new starters. But I know its a tuff one. Any ideas Enduro. Everyone has to eat?

It's easy enough for you to post a thread offering your services for free as others have done previously, I have a lad come with me sometimes to learn. He lives 40 miles away so wouldn't be competition for me should he go self employed , good luck BTW

tapatalk on my HTC

C

carlito

What i dont get is why everybody is always on about competition? Its not like you have to give anybody regular work or that you have train 10 bodies a month!. A day or so would be fine. I just thought this forum was about helping each other (And it is extremely helpful by the way), but i'm getting the impression that a few of the guys are a little insecure. Off to finish this job now. G'day guys.

M

Mike

What i dont get is why everybody is always on about competition? Its not like you have to give anybody regular work or that you have train 10 bodies a month!. A day or so would be fine. I just thought this forum was about helping each other (And it is extremely helpful by the way), but i'm getting the impression that a few of the guys are a little insecure. Off to finish this job now. G'day guys.

The tilers on here do like to help everyone but times are hard for a lot of tradesmen, if you owned a shop, would you help a rival set up next door selling the same stuff?

tapatalk on my HTC while waiting for the grout to go off

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

Not something we are looking at doing..... As mentioned new comers can post a thread seeking work.... as for your comment

" I just thought this forum was about helping each other"

Our members go out of their way to help new comers but i do not see why they should be hit with a comment like that if they are not prepared to offer days work experience etc.

i'm getting the impression that a few of the guys are a little insecure.

When you have been in business long enough you will understand good tilers want to protect their niche market.... and not all will want new comers poaching that said market behind their backs.. and yes underhand tricks like this do happen...

So if any newcomer to tiling wants to seek work experience, then start a thread asking so..

P

phil w

being in a similar position to yourself, everyone has to learn and there's no substitute for experience, but to be honest as much as I'd like to spend sometime working with one of these guys if you look at it from there point of view they have taken years to build up there experience and buisness and basically they would be training up competition with work being the way it is these days think you might be flogging a dead horse on this one mate, these guys and girls as you know go out of there way to help people on this forum individualy or between them they'll happily talk any of us through a job if we ask don't think any of us can ask more than that, anyway good luck with the tiling.
Hi guys fantastic resource for all new tilers this forum. I've been tiling all this year now and have basically been taught most things by being in here. One common problem with all new tilers appears to be the problem of trying to shadow and help out established tilers in order to gain some experience. Any chance of the moderators putting up a tab similar to the one showing (Available jobs) in order that we novices can put our names and addresses on and you more experience guys could draw on a pool containing new starters in your area for the odd occassion where you could do with an hand. What you guys think?

H

hillhead

Every tiler has the choice about how he/ she trains and the choice too if they wish to train someone.
This has to be respected, I know I trained with a tiler for 6 months solid and he knew I would go alone.
There was plenty of work then so I'm not sure if he'd do it now, I'm very grateful for what he done for me and I do pass jobs onto him at times when he is slack.
Times are harder now and there are plenty of trades scratching for work so a lot wouldn't consider training anyone at at all for reasons above.
Place a post offering experience wanted and who knows what might happen.

E

enduro

I will help anyone if i can, and have helped local guys starting up with advice and been to their jobs to help setting out etc. Even go to one lad who when he does a natural stone job he calls me in to seal the floor due to him messing a marble job up that i put right for him a few years ago. Then there was another lad who i helped and we got talking about work he asked how i started and who i work for...Me being to trusting i told him a few kitchen fitters & builders i tile for. Luck for me these were friends of mine and they told me this lad had called them offering his services. So i wont have them on my jobs but will go to theirs and help.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to New tilers tab. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

We stopped the tilersforums.com Job Of The Month Competition a while back because it was quite a...
Replies
Views
G,day my name is Dave, I am getting a bit snowed under with work, so lm looking for some good...
Replies
Views
J
Alright everyone. Just a quick hello and thankyou for all the priceless info over the last few...
Replies
Views
T
Hello fellow tilers- I was a member on here before, but couldn't log in- as my e.mail address...
Replies
Views
Time's Ran Out
T
B
Hi all, I have been using this forum for nearly a year now. I did an 8 week tiling course last...
Replies
Views
DHTiling
D

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
New tilers tab.
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.