UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss new wet room in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

s collins

hi guys im looking for a bit of advice
i have a down stairs shower room which i had to rip out due to a poorly fitted waste pipe
and im now hoping to install a wet room
i have removed the screed and have around 90mm to finished floor level
i have installed wet ufh to most of the ground floor level so was wondering if this was ok for the wetroom as i cant find much about wet ufh in wetrooms most seem to mention electric which seem to go on top the tanking
will there be a problem with the heat being under the tanking
im also looking for ideals on what former to use or is it better to use something like impey level grade
and also what type of tanking would be best
room is 2400x1700 aprox
thanks simon

M

Mike Mike

i still cant find tanking or membrane that seems to work with plumbed UFH
and anyone point me in the right direction ?
thanks

Vinyl flooring works perfectly well with underfloor heating as a tanking system. I have tiled literally hundreds of wetrooms with vinyl on the floor, and many with vinyl on the walls too. It's usually Armstrong "Tätskikt - Golv" (possibly called Waterlite in the U.K.).

Here that costs about 230kr/m2 for the safety floor and 250kr/m2 to fit it. Your floor is 5.2 m2 (including the turn up on the walls), so that solution would cost you 1380kr for the vinyl + 1300 fitting = £251, all in.

That is 100% waterproof, works 100% fine with piped water UFH and is the most robust and reliable tanking system. There have been many investigations and analysis by the Swedish insurance companies and national building regulators and less than 2% of water damage occurs with this system compared to nearly 40% with the roller type paint on systems.

If you pursure finding out about this type of solution I would be very interested to hear what the costs are in the U.K. i.e. if they cost half what they are here, like most things seem to, or, as it isn't popular there, whether it's actually dearer??

Maybe you should float the idea on the Flooring Forum to see if they have heard of it??

Good luck!

M

Mike Mike

thanks mike i forgot to mention that the floor and wall will be finished in tiles

Simon, yes I understand, the vinyl is the tanking system, hot welded in the corners, and is tiled over.

Here is a list of (Swedish approved) vinyl tanking products, they are all manufactured by foreign owned companies like Armstrong, Tarkett, Forbo, Gerflor etc so they must be available in other countries other than here in Scandinavia Godkända plastmattor som tätskikt under kakel och klinker - GVK.se (In fact, I KNOW they are. All your hospitals, private medical centres, care homes etc use their safety flooring systems as there are hygene regulations that must be met).

Here are the approved adhesives for tiling onto vinyl tanking: Fästmassa på plastmatta - GVK.se

Not all will be available in the U.K., but Mapei, Weber, Bostik and Ardex will be.

I know this system will sound double Dutch to you Brits, but in Scandinavia 100% of bathrooms are wetrooms. Indoor wetroom bathrooms were the norm here when you had outside toilets and bathed in a copper tub once a week in the kitchen (be honest, I know people who have admitted to me that was fairly common in England even into the 1950's!).

All the tanking products I have seen mentioned on this website are either old hat (roller type systems from 20 years ago, although companies like BAL think they have just invented the wheel), or are laborious to install and require numerous little extras (like preformed corners) which soon bump the price up.

The minimum I would use on a wetroom floor is a folie stystem (to me that's a membrane, but I think you call the roller / paint on stuff a membrane, which is not the same thing). Godkända tätskiktsfolier under kakel och klinker - GVK.se

By the time you have purchased it, the adhesive to stick it on, the internal and external corners and pipe covers, and put it down, and jointed it etc, I cannot see how this could possibly be quicker and less expensive than a vinyl system. A vinyl floor in a bathroom your size would take about 2 ½ hours to install.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to new wet room in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have a walk in shower room ... Sort of a wet room but not quite. I used a kerdi style wet...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am installing a shower/wet room in an upstairs on suite. Shower tray will be installed...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, With a kitchen renovation, Mrs choose the white mirror quartz floor tiles from a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I have installed a wetroom form (the style below). I have removed the floorboards and lowered...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.