Discuss Newbie in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

linniebird

Hi all.

I'd really like some impartial advice about the best type of tile for a wetroom. I've researched myself silly on this subject and now come full circle and still without a definite answer!
I've read that natural stone (granite, marble, travertine etc) is good but expensive and needs re-sealing every 2-3 months and that ceramic is a good choice if you want low maintenance.

I love the look of natural stone, but I'm far too busy to be able to maintain it to the standard it needs, so it looks like that is out of the window. I'll probably go for ceramic (but got even more undecided when I read a post on this forum that said porcelain wears better! [SCREAM!]).

If I went with ceramic (eg travertine effect), the question is then are all ceramic tiles the same or do you get what you pay for? Where is the best place to go for tiles? I've looked at Topps (though some of you are decidedly unimpressed with them), and found their prices a bit steep. I've seen some I like in B & Q, but I know some of you advise to steer clear of the 'sheds' - possible quality issues there?

Heeeeeeeeeeeeelp!!! I'm going crazy :mad2:

L

linniebird

Thanks Brian J. The only thing that put me off travertine along with other stone products is the upkeep. They do need to be cleaned regularly as you say, and with special cleaners. I work long hours and don't have much time (or energy!) for household chores. It would be heartbreaking to see it go to ruin, especially when it'd cost a small fortune to install. The tiled area will be 38 sq m, plus cost of tanking etc associated with wetroom installation (professionally done - wouldn't touch this sort of project with someone else's bargepole!) Do you not think ceramic or porcelain would be a more viable choice? Best wishes ***

L

linniebird

Hi Dave. Your input is very welcome - I'm over my head here! If what you say is true, that travertine doesn't need sealing every few months and that the sealant you mention will last 5 years + providing it's cleaned properly, that puts a whole new perspective on it. I could live with that! I've heard there are some differences in quality with travertine, eg cheap travertine has lots of filler etc and should be avoided. Where's the best place to go that sells it at a reasonable price, and what cleaning products would you recommend? Thanks very much for your help ***

Reply to Newbie in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
    • Useful
Hi, Im looking for a recommendation for a liquid tanking. I have to use a liquid tanking...
Replies
Views
Hi All Had a panic when we had to rip out some of our floor tiles after a plumbing leak...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.