UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Non Communication Training in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

doit4u

Got me thinking the other day whether its worth having all these modern methods of communication - phones/mobiles/internet/e-mail. When I first started out there were a lot of people that still didn't have a phone but tradesmen/suppliers still seemed to manage to keep you updated either by calling in or sending a letter/card. Personaly years ago I have driven several miles to leave a message if I unexpectedly couldn't make an appointment.

It seems to be endemic these days, despite the ease and availability of 'instant' communications to just not bother to keep you informed. Personally I always try to ring people back within 24 hours if they leave a message, even if it is an initial enquiry and all I can tell them is that I am not available for X weeks or its not something I can do for them.

What brought all this on was a guy in the local pubs on recently completed his apprenticeship an an electrician. For some time we have been having problems with the main trip popping off in the consumer unit for no logical reason. It would go off when there was little load on, or no change of load i.e. at 7 in the morning hwen we were still in bed. This started happening on almost daily bais a few weeks ago.

I am convinced it is a mechanical problem with the RCB and as the panel is 25 years old, even I could get a replacement it would be nearly half the price of a new consumer unit. Any way I thought I would give this lad a chance and asked if he would change the panel over. His dad said he would ask him to ring. Two weeks went by and no call. Then the problem stopped. Bumped into the lad and he said he had been busy but things were quiter now so any problem ring and he would come and have a look. Problem started again this week so I rang and left a message - suprise suprise no contact.

I was wondering if part of peoples training these days includes a module on 'Non Communication' or am I just being a grumpy old git?

B

bugs183

He's a sparky, they've all been trained to annoy, and not turn up!!
I just think it's down to the individual, some make the effort, others don't.
I don't like being moaned at so i always try and keep in touch with new or current customers, especially if things aren't going to plan and you think you'll be late on a job. A quick phone call and an explanation and 99% of people are fine, they appreciate being kept in the loop.
Same as quotes, if i get a phone call about a job i try and get to look at it within two days, and get the estimate out straight away, if i leave an estimate undone for more than 3 days i just can't seem to get it done, really weird really, but i have to get it done there and then.
If he can't be bothered then that's up to him, trouble is you need to deal with another sparky that will be just as rubbish, bless 'um!!!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Non Communication Training in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, sorry for the clunky thread title... Just over a year ago we had a side...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I’m not an experienced tradesperson by any means, so wanted to pose a question on...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.