UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss NVQ - fallen at the irst hurdle in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

Leatherface

Just got an information pack from Leeds College of Building, with a form to fill in.
With a view to commencing on site asessement to NVQ level.
There are many sections over 12 pages to tick or delete as applicable. Forms VR01, VR02, VR03, VR141 & VR142
Sorry, but a large percentage of them only relate to site health & safety procedures, manual handling, disposal of waste materials, leglislation and all sorts of other things that as a mainly domestic tiler I never come across or need.
If that is all the garbage I need to learn to be able to work on a site at a poxy £20 per metre then they can forget it.
I will stick to domestic tiling.
Also the form state that work records are required & witness testimony for each section.
For myself this is impossible. There's no way I am going to pack in work and go back to college for that load of crap.

I already have O Levels in Maths, English, History, Sociology & Woodwork. A Levels in Sociology & History. City & Guilds Certificates in Motor Vehicle Technology. NCC Computing Certificates ( similar to BTEC ). Reach, Counterbalance & Man Up Fork Lift Licences. First Aider. Numerous Vocational Management Training Certificates. Elementary , Primary & Survival swimming certificates. Cycling Proficiency ....
All of these useless bits of paper are stored under my bed with my jazz mags. So don't need any more thanks.
I would happily put myself up against any guy straight out of college armed with all the bits of paper he wished.
I have one thing that he has not - life skill.
Sorry for the rant, but it really gets my goat, when faceless guys sat in an office pass leglislation that just serves to harm us guys tring to earn an honest living.
Nuff said
:icon8: :icon8: :icon8: :icon8: :icon8: :icon8: :icon8: :icon8:

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Leatherface

Glad someone agrees with me.
In all the time that I have been tiling - the worst money / meterage rate has come from builders - also the most hassle - constantly tripping over other trades, turning up on site and things aren't ready. Bloody freezing. Portaloo. Inadequate lighting. Climbing up & down ladders with your tools. Joiners sawing & dropping sawdust in your grout lines on the floor. People unplugging your lead from the generator whilst you are using it for lighting or tile cutting. Plumbers turning the water off whilst you are tring to grout. Putting in an invoice then waiting 2, 3 or 4 weeks till you get paid.
All for on average £20.00 per metre labour only.
Sorry, but if I need an NVQ to be allowed into that environment then I will pass.

Hey Ho - Domestic tiling all the way, better money, warmth, cups of tea & biscuits.
Bring it on... :) :) :)

E

epoxy pete

I think NVQ stands for N ot V ery Q ualified....he he !!
i work with mainly shopfitting industry projects, there are young guys on site with nvq coming out of there ears,on paper they look more qualified and exp than tradesman who have been in the trade for 40 years plus,its a nonsense!,there is no substitution for real life hands on exp,certificates are not the test of true ability anyday,i would rather see time served hands on people in the job!!!!!!.......shuffling paper about on desks has overrun this industry for far too long,we should revert to the traditional method of apprenticeship learning theres nothing better!!!!!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to NVQ - fallen at the irst hurdle in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

C
CHASE TILING ACADEMY LIMITED Ceramic Wall & Floor Tiling Courses Construction Skills / City and...
Replies
Views
tiler burden
T

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.