Discuss old bathroom ply in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

F

Fred

Started a job yesterday. 10m2 bathroom walls. The client stripped the old tiles off and ensured all old addy was off as well. The house was built in the early 60's and the old ply is present on one wall, with a shelf etc.

I acrylic bonded the walls. I used Mapei slow set flexi. To my horror today, two tiles came off! On inspection of the ply, I found the outer skin had buckled! I had to cut it out with a stanley.

What would have caused this to happen?

C

CBTC

I know from the merchants that the whole hardwood ply supply chain has altered a lot in recent years, affecting prices all along the line. Certainly the quality of a lot of the stuff is poor even then and delamination common. Buy with caution.
In the case mentioned I'd have thought twice about fixing to the exisiting background.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to old bathroom ply in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I am a part-time handyman - have done floor tiling before and small areas of wall tiling but...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We had our bathroom fully re-done approx 2 months ago. 1880's property, the previous...
Replies
Views
S
Hi guys I'm going to try to tile my bathroom. On the pictures you will see two old window...
Replies
Views
White Room
W
S
Hi all, First post, so please be gentle! Preping our bathroom to drag it out of the early 90s...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB