• Thread starter macka09
  • Start date
  • Replies 0
  • Views 105

Discuss Old cistern/syphon advice? Discussion Thread in the Plumbing Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Old cistern/syphon advice? Discussion Thread

Hi guys

I’ve tried to help out an old neighbour tonight with his toilet (low level cistern) as it had stopped flushing.

On inspection it was the diaphragm had split so I’d managed to get a new one, brilliant.

Problem is though, the existing syphon didn’t have a washer between the syphon and cistern??? Not even silicon or paste to be seen. 40 years this has been like it and I’ve never worked on a toilet without a washer. Plus, the flush pipe has one those really weird boot on that wraps on to the toilet. I thought it was rubber but it feels more like a hard plastic.

So I grabbed a new washer which was too thick and stopped the compression but on the flush pipe from being nipped up. So I decided to try it without the washer and it weeps constantly.

As I say, its a 40yr old loo but I’m trying to help so it’s not a chargeable job.

Anyone have any advice other than to change the whole thing?

I’ll attach a picture of the flush boot as I really don’t want to disturb it.

Cheers

Old cistern/syphon advice? for the original thread on Plumbers Forums

Reply to Old cistern/syphon advice? Discussion Thread in the Plumbing Advice area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Old cistern/syphon advice? Discussion Thread
Prefix
N/A
Forum
Plumbing Advice
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
None

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond