Discuss Old School Grouting in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

Flintstone

Years ago when grout basically came in one sort, you had to add your own flexi additive if you wanted flexible grout, and wide joint grout just had a load of sand in it. I was shown a way for certain tiles, grouting as usual with a thin ish mix, then getting a handful of grout powder and scattering it over and spreading it about, then brushing it all off, then wash down as usual, it left the joints very full and made a real nice job when needed. Anyone else remember that way ?

Simons70

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Luton
Years ago when grout basically came in one sort, you had to add your own flexi additive if you wanted flexible grout, and wide joint grout just had a load of sand in it. I was shown a way for certain tiles, grouting as usual with a thin ish mix, then getting a handful of grout powder and scattering it over and spreading it about, then brushing it all off, then wash down as usual, it left the joints very full and made a real nice job when needed. Anyone else remember that way ?
We do this all time if we use more then 3 mm spaces.

The old way of grouting the quarries was to spread the wet Sand and cement into the joints then mix dry sand and cement (dryers) and scatter all over the floor and rub like hell,then later wet sawdust to clean it all up no washing of that i can remember, and your white grout was white cementt was and to stop it going off so quick in the joints add a little washing up liquid

H

hmtiling

The old way of grouting the quarries was to spread the wet Sand and cement into the joints then mix dry sand and cement (dryers) and scatter all over the floor and rub like hell,then later wet sawdust to clean it all up no washing of that i can remember, and your white grout was white cementt was and to stop it going off so quick in the joints add a little washing up liquid
That's how I was taught to grout quarries. Must admit I use wide joint now though.

AD Ceramics

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Manchester
No.....lol
Can't say I've ever spread grout powder over joints to make them full.
I still use additives to make grout flexible. Bal wide joint and gt1 add mix you will not find a more flexible grout imo.
I do still grout using a good old sponge....can't get on with those wash boy contraptions ....I always end up over wetting the joints.

I'm old enough to remember that, it was with sand and cement installation.
Spread your driers and rub up flush joints and clean off with saw dust, pucker job on quarries and twin tiles.

O

Old Mod

Aye the linseed oil made them look great ,still one of my favourite tiles better than a lot of the crap about these days ,ill put mi flat cap back on its stand now before the comments start lol,cant beat some old ways and tales,just that some just dont want to listen
That's true of a lot of things Brian, for sure!
happy-thumb-up-045.gif

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Old School Grouting in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Last Dec tiled a small conservatory (13m) with 600mm porcelain tiles. Prior to tiling another...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB