UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Other tilers you can trust ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

Leatherface

Does anyone find that it can be hard to find another reliable, good tiler you can trust ?
As I always seem to be busy, sometimes I need a hand on the odd job.
I have had a few nightmares with other tilers I have enlisted to help, here are a couple..

Did a job pre Christmas, job was late starting due to other trades, customer wanted it finished before Christmas, 2 bathrooms walls & floors, fully tile 90sq metres, big rooms with very high ceilings - 3 metres. Enlisted a guy to help for a few days - had to sack him as I caught him spot and dabbing the bathroom floor tiles :icon8:

Another job I was on last year - new build, one house with 6 bathrooms and 170sq m of downstairs floors to tile - every room. The tiler who was helping me was so unreliable, just didn't turn up half of the time. Extremely untidy -mess and crap everywhere. The final straw came when I had to break off for a week - left him on the job. Builder phoned me, needed urgent meeting. tiler didn't turn up for 2 days, then turned up late rest of time and worked late by himself. A load of gear had gone missing from site during that week - 3 chrome towel rads, 1 shower mixer, 2 mirrors with lights, 14 sets of door handles, the brickies tool bag and a Dewalt chop saw.
Builder could not prove it was him, but it couldn't have been anyone else - so he sacked him on his time keeping. Later found out it was him that pinched the gear.
On top of that, I also found out that he had been slagging me off behind my back and telling everyone that he had taught me how to tile - he told the builder, plumber, electrician and joiner the same thing - they all hated him. Nearly lost me the contract :icon8: :icon8: :icon8: :icon8:

A couple of other tilers have also fallen by the wayside - poor workmanship.

Think I have found a good one now, up to press. Much happier working alone, I have less to worry about.

Anyone else had any bad experiences ?

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Concept PHT

I have had plenty....

Guys not turning up, guys turning up with just a couple of trowels and a £25 plasplugs cutter, guys turning up with their misses in the car!!

I had one guy do a job on a new build. Nice and easy en suite shower room - top to bottom with floor and UFH. I went to check the work over when he said he had finished, and I kid you not it was like being in the wobbly house at Alton Towers.

The tiles were 15mil out from start point to finish point - and this was with him shaving the tiles as he went round the room to try and make it up. The beading was hanging off the reveals and when I asked him what primer he had used, he din't have a clue what I was on about.

Had to strip the room and start again myself. He paid for it with a bit of persuasion (ahem).

Found out he attended a 4 day course about 9 months prior.

I'm saying no more and I'm not even going down that road of what training is best etc....

Got 2 superb blokes now. :)

L

Leatherface

I agree - don't want this post to deviate about training etc !
The fact is that a lot of the good tilers are always busy, finding someone who is at your own personal standard is hard. If you take someone on a job and they make a mess it reflects badly on you.
Here's another - had a person ( a recomendation ) phone about an urgent kitchen splashback, but also tile above the wall units - very fiddly 5 sq metres in total, 2 window reveals to celing height. Went to quote, didn't really want the job as I was too busy and could not fit it in - 5 sq metres in total so quoted them £400 - they gave me the job.
I really had no time to do it so passed onto a tiler I knew from tile shop. He did three quarters of the job and asked customer for the money. They paid him and he never went back to finish.
I ended up going to finish it free of charge - to save my reputation.
Didn't chase him for the money - lets just say his van got some accidental damage to his tyres and paintwork about 6 months later - hope he was insured.

V

Varley

I agree - don't want this post to deviate about training etc !
The fact is that a lot of the good tilers are always busy, finding someone who is at your own personal standard is hard. If you take someone on a job and they make a mess it reflects badly on you.
Here's another - had a person ( a recomendation ) phone about an urgent kitchen splashback, but also tile above the wall units - very fiddly 5 sq metres in total, 2 window reveals to celing height. Went to quote, didn't really want the job as I was too busy and could not fit it in - 5 sq metres in total so quoted them £400 - they gave me the job.
I really had no time to do it so passed onto a tiler I knew from tile shop. He did three quarters of the job and asked customer for the money. They paid him and he never went back to finish.
I ended up going to finish it free of charge - to save my reputation.
Didn't chase him for the money - lets just say his van got some accidental damage to his tyres and paintwork about 6 months later - hope he was insured.

I hope he wasn't! People like that really P*** me off!

L

Leatherface

Say no more, same as the " old school tiler" who did a 18 sq metre kitchen floor over UFH - 600X600 porcelain - he spot and dabbed the whole lot. No wonder the tiles were moving and grout cracking - he told customer that was the way he always did floors - the mind boggles.
I had to remove all the tiles, self level and re fix new ones.
Shocking !!

Last edited by a moderator:
K

kapitan

i can count the number of tilers i can trust on one hand!! nice pics guys
icon10.gif
and leather can u change your avatar m8 its giving me motion sickness!! :confused_smile:

T

tjsmiler

I find a lot of the tilers i speak to (old school) all act as if they are the dogs nuts, like they know something the rest of the world don't know about and their so shrewed and clever!!! Smug pricks just wanna puch em right in the face and trowel the floor up with em. I did have a row with another tiler half way through a job who started telling me i have GOT TO pay him more than what he originally said he wanted (like i was some 2 bob labourer or something) asked him if he would talk to one of his customers like that and then ****ed him off.

Have met a couple of old school who are decent fellers though and their knowledge is brilliant and they are happy to help.

Leatherface, sorry mate but i agree with Kapitan :wink_smile:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Other tilers you can trust ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, we have recently had some carpet fitters in who have done a great job but have...
Replies
Views
L
I would like some advise. We booked a tiler for a new build with quite a lot of work to be done...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, With a kitchen renovation, Mrs choose the white mirror quartz floor tiles from a...
Replies
Views
Tiling my en-suite was part of a larger build project. The builder subcontracted the tiler who...
Replies
Views
Bathroom/bathtub walls were tiled to the ceiling and a shower screen was fitting. Tiler left...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.