Discuss outside steps - recommended tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

GBASL0

Total amature DIY.
The entrance steps to our house are tiled but need to be replaced. Would like recommednation for tiles for
a) outdoors,
b) reasonably heavy use
c) anti-slip (currently edge steps are grooved but would like all steps to be grooved or knobled or howeevr correct way to describe it!)
d) edge steps need to have rounded edge
c) under stairs is toilet/shower so need to make it all waterproof - any advise on type of adhesive/grout appreciated

Had a ridiculous quote from someone repairing a neighbours steps so have decided to do it myself.
I know above is basic Q's. I did try and search the forum but the recommendations I saw are all from companies that are now bust!
Thanks
Andy

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
hi,use a vitrified porcelain tile possibly a quarry tile also,,pilkingtons multi versatiles are a good one with a treaded gripper on one side and smooth on the other so you can do your treads and risers differrent if you wish,are your steps concrete,just in reference to you saying there is a shower under them?

steps are tricky to make look good especially if your a 1st attempt diyer,i would seek alternative quotes if i were you see what price they come in at,also ask your tiler if he can get you a discount on tiles

if you take into account the cutters and tools your going to have to buy to do this job and also the non discount on tiles then it may well be best to get a pro in..good luck either way

P

Perfect Tiling

As above matey...steps are a pain to do...and even worse to do right. Some quarry tiles say to seal but if the sealant wears out from foot traffic and water gets in and freezes they will come loose again. Also make sure that there are no voids in the adhesive to allow moisture to gather and freeeze. Cement adhesives are waterproof but they still allow the passage of water through them. I've had a few calls about steps after the winter but to be honest I have so much other work I keep clear of them. :8:

T

trevortine

Heres some recents, before and after,

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 107
  • 034.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 103
T

trevortine

Also - I like the look of the Pilkington multi versatiles. The only question I have is do they do a step tread nosing tile for the tread edge? Can't see anything on their website about this. Also what is best place to buy these tiles?
Thanks
Andy
Andy, i got most of these tiles from ctd, and were pilkington dorset stone. They do a round edge and a double round edge for corners. Not sure about availabilty now though as pilks no longer trading as far as i know. Topps bought up a lot of their stock so might be worth checking there.

S

Suzanne

Hi Andy, did you end up tiling your steps? I am in London trying to get my head around the best solution to preventing water ingress through external steps over the entrance to my basement flat. I have looked into stone which is beautiful but madly expensive. Also not sure if frost is equally a problem with all tiles,stone, quarry, travertine etc. Also which waterproof membranes, adhesives, grouting and sealents are best?

Reply to outside steps - recommended tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
hats67 - Yesterday at 11:48 PM Add bookmark #1 Hello guys. I came upon and registered with...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Hoping that once again I can get some good advice on here, you were invaluable when...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
outside steps - recommended tiles
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.