UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Overboard or ply? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

essie

We currently have laminate flooring on our bathroom but due to a leak we have the opportunity to pull it up and lay tiles instead. So we want to lay ceramic tiles on an upstairs bathroom in an edwardian house. So far we have been given different advice on what the best option is: pull up the floorboards and lay 18 or 20mm ply, leave the boards and lay 15mm ply (not happy with this one as will raise the floor too high) or use backerboard.

Some of the floorboards look like they have had woodworm in the past.

Our insurers are paying a certain amount towards the work so I am keen that, should we have a problem in the future, we have complied with any relevent building regs.

Can anyone help?

S

stoneface ltd

Hi There, if the substrate boards are sufficiently sound enough or can be screwed down, then a ditra or similar decoupling matt will suffice for covering the area.. this will need to be primed with unibond mixture or sbr then fixed with a rapid setting flexible adhesive or vynil adhesive depending on how level/ straight the existing boards are.
Once the ditra matting / decoupling matt is adhered to the substrate you are then free to tile with flexible adhesives onto that.. the matting will only raise the floor level by 6mm inc anchoring adhesive..!
( 2.5mm adhesive +3.5mm matting)
hope this is some use to you ...
stoneface contracts ltd..

W

White Room

Hi There, if the substrate boards are sufficiently sound enough or can be screwed down, then a ditra or similar decoupling matt will suffice for covering the area.. this will need to be primed with unibond mixture or sbr then fixed with a rapid setting flexible adhesive or vynil adhesive depending on how level/ straight the existing boards are.
Once the ditra matting / decoupling matt is adhered to the substrate you are then free to tile with flexible adhesives onto that.. the matting will only raise the floor level by 6mm inc anchoring adhesive..!
( 2.5mm adhesive +3.5mm matting)
hope this is some use to you ...
stoneface contracts ltd..

Not pva please....

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Overboard or ply? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everyone, I really need some pro advice as I have just had a bathroom fitted and the tiling...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 53945
D
C
Hi all, I'm not much of a forum poster, and am also new here to this one. Additionally, in...
Replies
Views
GoneGuy
G
B
We will be tiling 3 bathrooms in a grade 2 listed building next month. Two of them are upstairs...
Replies
Views
J Sid
J
G
Hi all, I'm new to the forum so please forgive any silly questions, I've taken on rather a big...
Replies
Views
M
Hi all! I have been reading a lot of posts about avoiding tiling directly onto plywood. Most of...
Replies
Views
S

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.