Discuss Overboarding Skimmed Plasterboard in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Hi guys,

I'm looking to start my bathroom renovation with the intention of tiling the whole room (floor to ceiling) with metro tiles. Currently it is half - 3/4 tiled around the wet area (already removed tiles), and the rest is painted. The walls are skimmed plasterboard, two of which are stud (600mm centers) and the others dot and dabbed onto block work.

I want to overboard the plasterboard with cement board to give a good base for tiling. From what I have read 6mm Hardiebacker is a good choice, fixed to the studs and mechanically fixed on the dot/dabbed block walls. I've looked at other cement boards like No More Ply however and it can be sourced for around half the price (£7/8) of Hardiebacker? Can this be used as an alternative to Hardie providing it's fixed in the same way - NMP don't give any indication that their 6mm can be used to overboard plasterboard in the same way that Hardie does, but they're both basically cement board right? I know NMP has a slightly different fitting recommendation with glue at joins rather than scrim tape, feathering.

Or is it better just to stick with Hardie?

Thanks,
Josh

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Overboarding Skimmed Plasterboard in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all - I have some small format ceramic tiles (10x10x1cm) to use as a splash back around the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am in the middle of renovating my bathroom. First of its kind for me! The walls were...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm currently prepping my new bathroom for plastering before tiling and am unsure about...
Replies
Views
Hello. First time tiler looking for some advice. Doing a bathroom reno and had a professional...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB