Discuss Overlay Underfloor Heating in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

A

ah666

Hi,

Looking for some advice with respect to installing underfloor heating and tiled floor into a kitchen 30m2
  • The current floor is concrete and not screed (we know this to our expense when we had to lay new pipework for central heating and channel out pipe runs)
  • I have a quote from a heating engineer to install UFH (wet system) which involves taking up around 100mm of the concrete fitting insulation then UFH and topped with Brio board, and tiling straight onto Brio board. However this quite was very expensive and frankly I couldn’t justify the outlay
  • The heating engineer has subsequently come back with an overlay system (I believe from Polypipe) that would sit on top of the existing concrete floor and is only 18mm thick to which I could tile directly onto, thus the UFH pipes would have direct contact with the tile adhesive
  • Thus although not the ultimate solution its around half the cost and would only give us around a 30mm step

Does anybody have any experience with this type of system ? and if so any tips for when I tile the floor, I am fairly competent DIY tiller (see photos of my last project in my previous posts, hopefully this link works )http://www.tilersforums.com/tiling-forum/69763-finished-ensuite.html#post708309 but this is making me nervous

Thanks
AH666

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Hi Wilder how did you deal with commissioning the system ? did you turn on the UFH after applying a layer of addy or wait until the tiles had been put down ?

It was pressurised before tiling but not turned on until a few weeks after,starting low and turning up every day or so .
Imo slc aint need,as its only put over electric UFH so you don't really damage the cable. The floors are flat as a pancake(ish :) ) i just skimmed it to fill the odd hole.
Here you go a couple of pics ive found, as you can see not much skimming of addy as been done at all
epu2enyb.jpg
uvemubes.jpg
jyzehezy.jpg

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Overlay Underfloor Heating in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have a customer who lives in a 200 year old property. The lounge floor he wants tiled which...
Replies
Views
Hi there, hoping for some help here. I am about to install a small (2.2x2.5m approx) area of...
Replies
Views
We had a water underfloor heating installed and tiled over. 3 months later we noticed many tiles...
Replies
Views
Amethsyt
A
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
I am sure someone will know a good practice solution. We started a wetroom last year and then...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB