Discuss Painted Plaster in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

RDTiling

Hi all.

It's been a while since I've posted due to 2016 being a very slow year, however things are starting to pick up now. It got to a point in March where I considered shutting up shop, but I'm glad a persevered with it.

It's been a while since I've had a job with painted plaster (only on one wall). I put about 12 pieces do duct tape on various bits of the paint, left them about 4 hours and upon peeling them off the paint remained firmly on the wall.

I had thought about going down the sanding route, which I will if necessary.

As a bit of brainstorm, does anyone foresee any stumbling point if I were to:

1. Score the wall with a Stanley blade
2. Prime wall with Acrylic Primer
3. Roller on an SBR Slurry coat and then tile onto slurry coat

Unfortauntely, I can't dot n dab the wall, as if I did this - and after tiling, it would cover the oak window sill they have just had fitted (as part of the new window being installed). The joiner has only left about 15mm of window sill overhanging the wall.

Any thoughts, suggestions are welcome.

Rich

O

On one

I seem to come across this about once a month, I check its adhesion like you have, if it's thick bathroom type paint or v old paint then I try and remove it all, if it's just a seal coat of white emultion onto new plaster then I just score it and prime it a couple of times then tile it. I have tried pulling a tile off once set and there is zero chance.
Hi Localtiler
As for your technique for new paint on new plaster..........skim some tubbed adhesive onto the new emulsion paint........go to the van for a cuppa........bring back a Gundlach scraper with you, scrape the adhesive off and the paint comes with it, leaving a spotlessly clean wall.
20 minutes, that's all the time that it takes for the moisture in the adhesive to affect the adhesion of the paint.

O

On one

Hi Localtiler.
The use of tubbed adhesive(because it is cheap) to remove the paint is a tried and tested method of removing new paint on new plaster,but powdered adhesive has the same desired effect........ie paint will affected by moisture.....be it whether it has a tile placed on it or not.
As for not being able to pull the tile off a wall the next day.......I have been able to take a tile fixed with RS onto a plastered wall the next day quite easily.......even RS doesn't cure fully for 4 weeks.

PS Not meant to come across as short or curt(as is sometimes possible on the internet)

W

WetSaw

20160524_114721.jpg
20160610_135112.jpg

The trouble with painted surfaces is you never know if it's going to hold or not...

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Painted Plaster in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am a keen DIYer and have chosen an Impey Aqua Dec 4 and waterguard tanking kit. The Aqua...
Replies
Views
I am about to take on a kitchen backsplash with a standard metro tile and am looking for some...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB