Discuss Painted Plasterboard in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

RDTiling

Hi all.

A friend of mine has just moved house and has asked me into do a spot of tiling, kitchen, bathroom and an ensuite shower room.

The kitchen and bathroom i have no problem with as both are so old that they are being completely ripped back to the brickwork and starting again.

The en suite shower room has been put into an extension that was built about 10 years ago. The extension is timber framed and the previous owners have painted white emulsion paint straight onto the plasterboard. They have only put a couple of coats of paint on, as you can still see the shadow of the screws where the boards are screwed to the stud work

My initial suggestion was to take everything out, take down the plasterboard and replace with new (which my friend does't seem to keen on) however was reading an old post on here from 2010 about scoring the paint and sanding.

Does anyone have any alternative suggestions - I want to avoid possibly plastering the walls as that has an adverse effect on the weight limits supported.

Cheers,
Rich

R

RDTiling

Thats the unknown bit unfortunately. Judging by the finish, it probably hasn't been mist coated.

Two out of the four walls have sufficient stud work showing, so I had thought about screwing into that on top of the existing boards.

The other two have a shower cubicle in the corner of them so there is only piece of stud work that I can see (the others are presumably hidden behind the shower cubicle which has that horrid shower wall stuff in it).

I think I'll go back to him and suggest we take out the shower cubicle, screw new plasterboard on top of the old stuff and then put the shower cubicle back in.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Painted Plasterboard in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm part re-tiling/plastering a bathroom, which as the pictures show, has masonary to...
Replies
Views
I am sure someone will know a good practice solution. We started a wetroom last year and then...
Replies
Views
Hello. First time tiler looking for some advice. Doing a bathroom reno and had a professional...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB