UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Painted tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tjsmiler

Ok, so you reckon i should take them off then?? lol

Thanks a lot men i will suggest she has them removed, when i done the quote i did say they might have to come off because of the paint, she said she doesn't want them off because they are on plasterboard and she don't wanna have to pay for the cost of repairs if any damage is done while removing.....she also said she is happy to remove all the paint off the surface, i told her that removing the paint might not be enough as the chemicals in the paint have probably weakened the sticking power of both the grout and the adhesive behind.

Have i told her the right thing??

Oh yeah she is a high ranking police officer and her husband is the cheif of police in central London:eek: so i have to be a bit carefull here lol

Thanks for your help and quick replies ;)

L

L & R CERAMICS

Ok, so you reckon i should take them off then?? lol

Thanks a lot men i will suggest she has them removed, when i done the quote i did say they might have to come off because of the paint, she said she doesn't want them off because they are on plasterboard and she don't wanna have to pay for the cost of repairs if any damage is done while removing.....she also said she is happy to remove all the paint off the surface, i told her that removing the paint might not be enough as the chemicals in the paint have probably weakened the sticking power of both the grout and the adhesive behind.

Have i told her the right thing??

Oh yeah she is a high ranking police officer and her husband is the cheif of police in central London:eek: so i have to be a bit carefull here lol

Thanks for your help and quick replies ;)
id still walk away kiddo

C

Concept PHT

What I would do is explain to her the correct way of doing things and the consequences if they are not done the right way. If she accepts that, then get an SDS drill as I have explained and take them off. It leaves hardly any damage to the walls behind.

If she is still adamant that she wants it done her way, then either walk away or tell her you cannot guarantee the work and do it the way she wants.

T

tjsmiler

if the tiles werent painted id go straight over them ,the paint will stop your glue from adhering to the tiles properly,also they have been paintad again with emulsion which in time im sure that will start peeling off as well,dont forget this is a bathroom ,loads of condensation ,how long has the paint been on the tiles and how many times have they been painted before

Hi Mate.... thanks for that. The paint has been up for a couple of years. The thing is She has told me that if required she is happy to remove all the paint leaving me with just the tiles. The tiles look very solid and had they not been painted over i would have happily tiled straight over them.

Basically mate If she removed all the paint of the tiles, and then i prepared the surface as you normally would for tile on tile do you think it would then be safe?

L

L & R CERAMICS

Hi Mate.... thanks for that. The paint has been up for a couple of years. The thing is She has told me that if required she is happy to remove all the paint leaving me with just the tiles. The tiles look very solid and had they not been painted over i would have happily tiled straight over them.

Basically mate If she removed all the paint of the tiles, and then i prepared the surface as you normally would for tile on tile do you think it would then be safe?
if you think the tiles are secure and depending on how heavy the new ones are i cant see a problem,at the end of the day your covered because they asked you to go over them,but make sure they are solid

T

tjsmiler

if you think the tiles are secure and depending on how heavy the new ones are i cant see a problem,at the end of the day your covered because they asked you to go over them,but make sure they are solid

Top man L & R

Glad you said that as i really wanted to do this job, what better reference could there be than 2 high ranking police officers lol.....plus i'm gong to push her to make sure she gives my card out at her offices.

Just hope they don't decide to check out my younger days lol :eek:

Thanks again pal

L

L & R CERAMICS

anything to help
23_50_5.gif

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Painted tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Seems alot of talk that 20kg per mtr2 is the max weight limit for plaster. Few questions 1. its...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.