Discuss Painting over tanking in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

newreno

I hope this is the right section... It's not about a wet room (or even tiling directly...), but hopefully someone here will know the answer.

We're renting a place that gives us free rent in exchange for renovation work. The owner remodelled the bathroom on a structural level before we came in, so we had a basic plasterboard canvas. They also tanked around the shower and bath, including up the walls with those units.

I've now finished tiling the walls and would like to paint above the tiling, but the tanking above the bath goes above where the tiles end. I guess I can't paint directly onto the tanked area? What would you suggest as a workaround? Lightly sanding off the tanking material? Putting a very fine layer of finishing plaster over the top and then painting on that? Something else?

Thanks lads...

N

newreno

It's quite grainy. It almost feels like sandpaper when you run your fingers over it.

Sanding it down lightly isn't an option then? I could probably do a very light skim myself but it wouldn't be my first choice unless essential! But much quicker and cheaper (for me) than tiling to the top. There are also tiles on two other walls for the toilet, sink and towel rail (it's a strange shaped bathroom) so it'd look strange to tile to the ceiling on the bath and shower walls but not on the others, as well.

N

newreno

Great, thanks for the help. Will the plaster stick to the tanking, or will I need to prepare it in some way first?

I'm still not 100% on why the sanding wouldn't work though because the tanking seems almost like a layer that could be rubbed off... If I can get back to the original plasterboard then I'll be laughing... But I'll go with the wisdom and consider the skimming option as the next best thing! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Painting over tanking in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
I'm embarking on tiling a kitchen, wall-to-wall (under washing machine etc). most of the floor...
Replies
Views
We recently finished a bathroom renovation where the two builders who did the bathroom also did...
Replies
Views
Hello, i hope someone can give me some advice please. I’m planning on tiling our bathroom walls...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB