UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Patchy Grout problem in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

dangerSteve

Hey guys,

On a job at the moment where another tiler has just finished the kitchen floor, 600x600 white polished porcelain on Gypsum screed. Anyway, he finished grouting over the weekend and come Monday the grout looks patchy all over, a bit like army camo effect, as though its still wet in places. The grout used was Mapei Ultracolour Plus in a light grey, a Washboy was used to mop-up.

Any ideas what could be causing this?? I have had jobs in the past myself where the very same grout has looked patchy but you didn't really notice against darker tiles, the white tile is obviously highlighting the variation and making it look really bad.

Steve.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dangerSteve

is it rouh patching to the touch? could be that hes decided hes not happy with a few hollow bits and decided to smooth it over after hes finished grouting and disturbed the top surface of the grout, i say this as im sure i did the same thing when i first started! :joker:

Maybe yeah I haven't actually been and felt it, how long after grouting can this occur? I have myself smoothed rough areas or where I've filled an air bubble, but this is usually as part of my sponging off process about 5/10 mins after grouting.

Joints were clean and the grout mixed using paddle mixer, he does mix it a bit runny though.

S

Sully

Steve,

I use a lot of Mapei Ultra Colour Plus and while the results are 'worth the pain', it's a tempermental product to work with. I would think of two things that could have happenned here or maybe a combination of both.

The volume of water in the grout mix must be followed as per their instructions - think it's 1.1 - 1.3 litres per 5kgs. Too much and the mix is too wet resulting in patchy grout - and other problems including grout failure. Secondly, too much water in the washdown - a overly wet washboy or just too much water pushed around the floor. Again, it may be a combination of the two.

I'd wage a blind bet on this being the issue :yes:

Solution: Grout colourant would be my choice :thumbsup:

Andrew

Andrew

M

MrSpoon

Maybe yeah I haven't actually been and felt it, how long after grouting can this occur? I have myself smoothed rough areas or where I've filled an air bubble, but this is usually as part of my sponging off process about 5/10 mins after grouting.

Joints were clean and the grout mixed using paddle mixer, he does mix it a bit runny though.

during the washing off stage after 5/10 minutes, come to think of it it could well have been down to too much water while washing off as spend alot more time making sure i get asmuch water out of the spondge before wiping and the problem seems to have gone :yes:

D

dangerSteve

Cheers Andrew, I think you could be spot on mate!! When he phoned Mapei I think they mentioned something about too much water content in the mix. To be truthful its something I have never really bothered about myself, the water mixture amount on the bag I mean. I never like to mix a whole bag in one go because theres either too much grout to spread or because the room doesn't require a full bag. I might sound thick here but how do you manage this? Does it require you to start measuring out grout? Surely it doesn't have to be that accurate?

S

Sully

Solutions : Grout Colourant? We talkin about the grout pens?

Could he not scrape a couple of mil off the grout from the joints then mix up another batch and apply this ontop? Or is this a big no no?[/quote]

Am I allowed to mention the brand on here? It would be Aquamix Grout Colourant for me but you will have to settle for the closest match. As for raking out the grout :huh2:, rather him then me but might be a good way for him to learn from his mistakes :lol::lol:. I would be raking it all out though and not depending on a 2mm 'surface bond' which might be weak.

Andrew

M

MICK the Tiler

Far too much water, see it all the time and with porcelain the edge of the tile is porous so some of the fines in the grout end up sucking into the edge of the porcelain leaving the grout streaky. You could try an intensifier on the grout, failing that you could try a little hydrochloric acid mixed 4:1 with water make sure the porcelain has been sealed first then using a nail brush scrub the loint with acid mix, neatralize with Bi-carb soda mixed with water then allow dry. Always do a small test area first before you get too full on with acid. Failing that it will need to come out and be re-applied using less water in the grout allow the grout to really firm up in the joint the cut back with an almost dry sponge.

Reply to Patchy Grout problem in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Help! Advice needed please! I am in the middle of a bathroom renovation that my partner is...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
Bathroom being refurbished. A load of things have been rushed like some loosely rollered (not...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Patchy Grout problem
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.