Discuss Patent hassle. Unsolicited mail wanting money for services which..... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

Deleted member 1779

You know sometimes its great running your own company. Freedoms. Work when YOU want. Nobody to tell you what to do. Holiday when you choose.

And I sometimes have to remind myself of these bonus parts to being self employed.

Because this morning I had an unsolicited letter arrive reminding us about out patent.

If I had not be so on the ball (and burnt in the past) I would have cut a cheque for £750 and sent it off to this company.

Patent_Hassell.jpg

The document above is very convincing from the Patent & Trademark Office, 338 Euston Road Lonond NW1 3BT

And at first glance it has all the correct details for 365Drills and our patent numbers GB0601484.9 published GB2434558

And there is a geninuine renew time for us to pay for the upkeep of our patents and IP rights.

Basically they are saying in the small print that for a fee of £750 a year they will pay our renewal fees to the Patent Office for us (Which are about £120 a year).

Now I know they are doing NOTHING ILLEGAL and this is a service. BUT I do object to the way the letter / invoice is laid it.

It is not obviously clear from first reading that this has not come direct from the Patent Office and on first glance it would be easy to sign the document and send it back in the prepaid.

But I have to tell you I am a bit more on my toes. We will NOT BE SIGNING the form. And we will not be sending it back in the prepaid.

If they (and other similar companies) were to write a letter saying that the service they provide is to renew your patent on your behalf so that you dont have to remember to do it and it was in big bold letters then
they have my support. But while its burried in fine print then I have to say I am not convinced this a healthy way to drum up business.

I must point out that THIS IS JUST MY OPINION. And its a personal opinion. I realise and acknowledge that this company is doing NOTHING ILLEGAL. And so for the benefit of doubt I wanted to make that
very clear on a forum. So to reinforce it. The company Patent & Trademark Office of 338 Euston Street NW1 3BT are NOT DOING ANYTHING WRONG. I am NOT implying a SCAM.

But I did want to vent my frustration at getting the letter and to say there are other ways to be more up front about what services are being offered.

-----------------------

WARNING TO FORUM POSTERS WHO WANT TO REPLY: PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL ABOUT WHAT YOU WRITE OR STATE. Think about every word. This is because we have had some rather unsettling documentation arrive in the post historically with talk of legal action for a similar type of scheme. Dont worry we managed to defend it and it never ended up in court. So If you agree that you do not support the style of operation its OK to say so. But choose your words as carefully as we have chosen ours.

-------------------

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Patent hassle. Unsolicited mail wanting money for services which..... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everyone. I'm really hoping you all can help as I am at my wits end. We have hired...
Replies
Views
Hello. Can I take your advice please? Our groundworks company are refusing to guarantee their...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Grouting my shower walls in a few days. I tried to do everything by the book, which I did. Water...
Replies
Views
Hi, We're looking to have our ground floor tiled. The tiles are from a good quality reputable...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB