Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Paying up? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

Olz

I had some one last year who cancelled not one cheque but two, she also did this to the window and conservatory fitters, the sparkys, the plumber and the oil heating engineers.

She owed out well over 25k between us.

She eventually paid me £900 via cheque, for half the balance, the other cheque bounced, Im convinced this was becuase she didnt catch it in time.

I took her to court for the other 900 odd quid, she didnt bother to repond to the court papers, or pay up when the court ordered her to and hit her with a CCJ.

Cut a long story short I elevated the claim to the high court, got a writ for the full amount, plus interest, and court costs, then handed it all over to a private bailiff firm who took care of it pretty quickly, I had the cash in the bank around four weeks later.

Though this was a long way down the line and the best thing to do is politley chase, if still no joy, send a draft court paper advising that if payment is not made by x date, you will submit them, and claim the interest etc.

If you do a quick search on the forum you'll find a good few threads on the topic.

Key message, friendly first, play hard ball later.

F

Fred

I tell ALL my customers the day I complete is pay day. I stand there until I get the cash/cheque.

I've had a few who say they will send it to me in the post, OK I say, I will just stand here until I get the dosh, any how , in my palm.

Look mate, you have to be firm and tell them the facts of life. Your tiling to make a living, its not that much dosh. I work for many builders, and they know I want paying.

I recently worked for a famous POP / ROCK lead singer, I had to wait until after the weekend to get the cheque, thats OK, a day or so.

Be firm, I know its hard, but you are trying to make a living.

I tell ALL customersw, work complete, they are happy, payment.

i've just had a customer who was slow to pay, said she would send the cheque in the post straight away as i finished the job when she was out and posted the keys. She never answered my calls but would send me a text that it was in the post and couldn't answer the call. After 4 weeks i just went round after ringing her twice that day, she answered the door and said she had just seen the missed calls and the cheque was sent that day. I got it the day after but i dont think i would of without going round.

Some people just dont understand, ask them how they would feel if there boss decided to give them their wages a few weeks late, THEY WOULD BE KICKING OFF!!

S

SandyFloor

I've only had this a couple of times and both times it was down to their funds running out at the end of an extension being built. Usually tiling or flooring etc. is towards the end of the works and many customers fail to leave flexibility in their budgets. On both occasions it was a case of waiting till their next pay day which wasn't ideal but I got it.

I think the main thing is to establish contact non aggresively and see if they are having problems of any kind and if you're the only one who is owed as it may be a case of he who shouts loudest.

R

redlee

Thankfully i've not been messed about for a couple of years but i think anyone that does this to a tradesmen has a lot of experience of trying it on and sometimes getting away with it. The threat of letters and court doesn't worry them in the slightest because they know how much of a drawn out toothless system it is and that it costs you money. After you've tried the polite approach and its clear they have little intention of paying what you're owed you need to let them know you want/need the money and wont forget about it (still being polite) tell them that you are selling the debt to a private firm of bailiffs at the end of the day if not paid in full. I regularly get calls from a firm in Liverpool offering to buy anything outstanding.

Reply to Paying up? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, sorry for the clunky thread title... Just over a year ago we had a side...
Replies
Views
I see and hear all to often of the horror stories when someone hires a supposed tiler only to...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Paying up?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.