UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Pics for website in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Dirrty

I am a bit stuck here any advice would be welcome. A freind of mine is doing a website for me at no cost ( he is a good mate ) as I don't have much cash available. Obviously because he is not charging me I want to do as much work as possible so he doesn't have to spend too much time doing it. He sent an e-mail saying if I go to a site called istock photos he has an account, and then if I give him the numbers of the pics I like he can incorporate them. But the pics are yuk, it's all massive commercial jobs or what looks like american interiors. I don't have my own pics of my own jobs yet, and I know you can't just lift pics of the web....or can you? The thing is I am not having an actual tile gallery, and I am not claiming the pics are of work I have done, ( and I mean this, I wouldn't even hint ), it's just that they look better than 'professional' staged pics if you know what I mean, and a bit more 'British'. Any ideas guys? :huh2:

D

Dirrty

Hi

You could always provide a link to the tile gallery section of this website. Shouldn't harm anything, and the site gets more traffic and the opportunity to back up any technical requirements that you are giving potential customers.

Sounds like a win win to me??
All I want John is half a dozen nice pics of tiled bathrooms, splashbacks etc to put on each page of my site to make it look pretty and decorative. It's just that the ones I can use look 'staged' ( well they are that's why lol ). I want to keep the site simple....customer looks at site quickly, thinks 'oh he could do what we want, and he is not to far from here, there is his number, lets give him a call'.....job done! Thanks for your suggestion though mate :thumbsup:

D

Dirrty

The lifting pics from other sites does mate.

Sure i heard someone doing that before.

I can let you borrow some of my pics if ya want?
That's what I was hoping for lol....thanks wivers you are not the foum muppet as some people have suggested, but are in fact a scholar and a gentleman and all round good egg! Thanks mate, I dont want to claim that it's my work, just make my site look nice. I will PM you if thats ok?

D

Dirrty

why dont you just go into porcelainosa or any other showroom that displays kitchens, bathrooms etc and snap away...

if anybody comes up to you, you can just say that you are getting ideas for your own house etc. if anyone could pull it off jim, it would be you!!
Yeh I thought of that, but they sort of look like displays, you know what I mean mate? Still I could have a look around, cheers :thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 1779

To readers wondering about the general rights and wrongs of lifting photos for commercial use - you should know that all the photo-sheds monitor the web and hunt down rights-managed and royalty-free images under their control.

They invoice website owners who use their images without a licence.

I had a similar case whereby Getty Images tried to invoice me £2000 for use of a 150 pixel gif

But it was my photo! And I had to prove it was mine - but if I couldnt then they were preparing a routine bill for £2K.

They all use face recognition software to trawl the web on a continuous basis looking for images. And like I say when they find an image - they invoice.

Just a cautionary tale for anyone tempted.... Getty, Corbis, Istock and others all hunt for infringement.

Please also understand the difference between Rights Manged images and Royalty Free images. Some people assume you pay for the first and use the second for free.

Rights-Managed: You have exclusive use of that picture for your company and no competitors can use the same.
Royalty Free: Anyone can buy the right to the image and use it for unlimited purpose. But you still have to pay for the right to use it.

Istock are one of the cheapest image suppliers and work on a system of pre-paid credits. Photos can cost about 50p each so its a good way to start a site but I appreciate they can be a bit boring and even a tad commercial. Make sure your search terms are wide. Try things like [contemporary bathroom] and [shower tiles] or [domestic washroom] or [bathroom floor] it will take you ages to trawl to find images.

I like wivers idea of taking your camera and photographing commercial displays. It could be argued that as the photographer you own the copyright to the images of subject matter displayed in public (ie the shop) but some shop owners might have some cause for complaint that you are using images of their product for commercial reasons.

This post is not advice from me either way - its just a cautionary tale from my own experience that any image used on a commercial website will come under scrutiny by third parties. If they have an interest in that image they will persue your company for payment. Its then up to the company owner (not the web developer) to ensure there is a right to display the image either by outright copyright ownership or a licence.

Just an idea but perhaps the tile training colleges could photograph the finished bays and build up a collection or portfolio of tile images for use by newly qualified tilers on their commercial websites. Hey the smart ones could even sell them to the Photo Sheds.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Pics for website in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

So, I've tiled most of the wall in my downstairs WC and am left with a narrow floor to ceiling...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, hopefully someone can help me. I have a brick wall that’s had render put on it and...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm currently an A-Level DT student. My project involves me making a product for my...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.