Discuss Pics of first bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

W

Woody123

Ive just finished tiling my first full bathroom and thought i would post sum pics for you to praise/constructive critisism!i will put them in an album in my profile Also i have one problem. i took the toilet out and have went to refit it 2nite but it is leaking! i think i may have replace the inlet valve as i have cross threaded the plastic fitting when tightening up the service valve or do you think i could use some ptfe tape and that will stop the leak? any plumbers out there for advice

O

Olz

Hi mate,

IMO you should change the fitting, the plastic connectors are doomed to more failures if it's been cross threaded, they're not expensive and are easy to change, they come in push fit.

Take the existing one off and take it to a plumbers supply, or even b&q and get a replacement.

Dont use PTFE, it's not reccommended on plastic fittings,

Metal fittings are very strong, the PTFE is pushed into the thread as you tighten.

Plastic is not and I find PTFE weakens the joint because the platic doesnt grip into the ptfe properly.

If the joint fails water will just gush out, like turing on the cold tap and you'll get the call to pay up for it sorting, along with the water damage to the bathroom, and ceiling of the room below, and plasma tv underneath etc etc.

Worst case you'll have to get a new syphon, float etc for inside the cistern, not that expensive £20 ish. Easy to fit.

O

Olz

It's a small price to pay mate for piece of mind, and when they go, they always go just after everyones gone out... There clever like that, they work out the optimum time to fail to ensure that they leak undetected for as long as possible. :lol::lol:

Did you get the pics up mate, the albums there but nothing in it.

One quick tip mate, sorry if im teaching you to suck eggs but with plastic only hand tighten, dont go anywhere near it with a wrench, it's easy to squuze too hard and deform the plastic nut or thread.

W

Woody123

Im having bother uploading them at the min. i think they are too big in size so will have to alter them or summat! Yeah your right it would be sods law that it will probably be ok when i'm there then 2 days later im ringig the insurance to see if im covered!!!!!!!
I didn't realise about just hand tightening the fittings so cheers. Thats probably what i did wrong in the first place!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Pics of first bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi I've had a leak from the shower to the room below. I thought it was likely the silicone seal...
Replies
Views
L
Hello there. We've just bought our first home and having moved in last week, we are about to...
Replies
Views
Old Mod
O
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB