Discuss Pictures of a mud bed for a small bathroom floor in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rob Z

Whoops, I should have given more detail.

The tub is a drop-in type, with the apron built in front of it. All the tile will be set on the walls over Kerdi, which is why you see the drywall there. The subfloor is joists with 1 X 6's and one layer of 1/2" plywood. I had to do the two layers of subfloor because the plumbers had hacked the joists so badly when the house was built.

I'll post a picture of the tub next week so you can see how it is set in place.:thumbsup:

R

Rob Z

Bri, I used Laticrete 209 floor mud for this job, mixed with Laticrete's 3701 admix, which is made for this type of mortar. The Lat 209 is a factory mix of 4/1 sand/cement. I didn't use a bonding agent because the metal lath is stapled to the subfloor. This mud is mixed dry and will set up within hours, and by Monday AM it will be harder than Chinese math :D. My customer will mist it periodically over the weekend to help damp cure the mud.:thumbsup:

D

doug boardley

i dont think we do that over here Rob,,personally i have never come across this method..very interesting and tbh i would have thought that it might have failed because its a wooden floor but you live and learn...thanks ROB.:thumbsup:
I came across this way years ago Bri, no failures either, the downside if I remember was that the lathe had to be stainless, ( to guarantee a 25 year span), so the lathe merchants pushed up the price and therefore it never got used as often as it should have done:thumbsup:

B

brian c

I came across this way years ago Bri, no failures either, the downside if I remember was that the lathe had to be stainless, ( to guarantee a 25 year span), so the lathe merchants pushed up the price and therefore it never got used as often as it should have done:thumbsup:

Used copper eml on a job abroad, specially made:thumbsup:

you guys are showing your age now.:lol: remember im only a young thing.:smilewinkgrin:

H

heavytrevy

I do mine freehand :thumbsup: , I mark my levels around the perimeter and at the waste and off I go , I mix my mud on the wet side also.
Come back the next day with a scraper and get it absoletly perfect. good enough for mosiacs. :smilewinkgrin:

As a beginer I used to use float strips and the dry pack method.
It is a dying art.

Trev

What was the thickness of the bed Rob ? Looks great anyway, its been a while since i have done any screeding and i am with Doug here, i cant stand the guys who think they can do it freehand.
I used to use metal conduits for my screed battens.

R

Rob Z

What was the thickness of the bed Rob ? Looks great anyway, its been a while since i have done any screeding and i am with Doug here, i cant stand the guys who think they can do it freehand.
I used to use metal conduits for my screed battens.

Neale, it is ~ 1 3/8" on the high side of the subfloor and a bit over 2" on the low side of the subfloor.

Reply to Pictures of a mud bed for a small bathroom floor in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
Hi folks, I am having a downstairs small bathroom completely renovated. There will be a new...
Replies
Views
I was quoted over £4700 (inclusive of VAT) to rip out and replace my bathroom. This does not...
Replies
Views
V
Hi all, was wondering if I could get some advice from the pros here on preparing a concrete...
Replies
Views
Flintstone
F

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB