UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Pietra d'assisi by Cerdomus in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

On one

Looks like i will be fitting 50m2 of the above tiles very shortly.Can these tiles be sealed prior to grouting? They are 10mm thick porcelain,available in multiple sizes and have chiselled edges and a rough surface which looks like they might be a nightmare to clean up the grout haze.
I have tried Bal temporary sealer on riven porcelain before,but with limited success,so need some ideas what to use to ease the grout clean up

R

Rich

If you are in any doubt then do a test or give the supplier a call. I dont think you need a sealer myself but as I have said i dont know the tiles. I would use your wash boy but keep another sponge in the bucket as well, I find that it is easier to remove the grout from the pits with a sponge. Just work methodically and dont grout to much at once, you dont want the grout going off on you to quick.

Not wanting to conflict advice with the above but I wouldn't use washing up liquid, never used it to wash off with before but I would be worried that it would react with/dis colour the grout. They should be fine to clean off with just water IMO.

S

Stef

Personally i wouldnt use washing up liquid to clean up,

Ive heard a lot of strange things over the years but never this.

I wouldnt use too much water either as this can affect your grout.

Run your washboy sponge as dry as you can get it, It will still have plenty of water in it though.

The only trouble we have had with grout haze is with Limestone tiles. These had loads of pores in them.

O

On one

Personally i wouldnt use washing up liquid to clean up,

Ive heard a lot of strange things over the years but never this.

I wouldnt use too much water either as this can affect your grout.

Run your washboy sponge as dry as you can get it, It will still have plenty of water in it though.

The only trouble we have had with grout haze is with Limestone tiles. These had loads of pores in them.
I have heard if Fairy Liquid is added to s+c mortar(as a plasticiser) that it can rot the mortar!!!!

D

DHTiling

DO NOT add/use washing up liquid..

This product is an aggressive degreaser and will attack polymers etc in the adhesive/grout...

Use a grout haze remover if residue is left after clean up.... also adding a small amount to your washboy during clean up helps as well...

With this type of tile that has a rough surface then grout just the joint and try to keep the surface clean from excessive grout... a light wipe quicker than you normally would to remove the thick and then leave joints to set up, then clean down..

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Just for future ref. what i tend to do is grout the area and because the tiles are pitted, the grout obviously dries quicker than in the joints, I just go over the tile with a sponge and clean water being careful not to let the sponge touch the joint, leaving 3-4mm from the edge of the tile. It lifts the still wet grout out of the pitting leaving less work to do when you go to the joints. I find this works for ok.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Pietra d'assisi by Cerdomus in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have had both polished and matt textured wood effect tiles laid in my house and am having...
Replies
Views
I received an email about BAL External tile adhesive and grout this morning and thought I'd post...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I had my bathroom tiled about 5 months ago and yesterday I noticed cracking in the...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.