Discuss plaster - how long to dry? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

SJPurdy

It says in BS that plaster walls should be allowed 4 weeks to dry out before tiling. But this is an a section where they are talking about layers of backing plaster followed by finish coat and this time then seems to make sense.
Should it still be 4 weeks if it is only a skim coat over plaster board or a skim coat to make good damage to the old skim where tiles have been removed? Clearly in these cases it dries out in a couple of days normally but do we have to wait for some curing process to take place as well as the physical drying out?
Steve

B

Bubblecraft

As Dave says, skimming onto PB will dry far quicker than onto existing painted walls & bonding coats.

There is a 3 step drying process for plaster. The colour it is when it goes on, it will go darker then a very light pink. Plaster on bare PB, in the right environment will dry between 24 to 48 hours.

Original surface:
5a2epady.jpg

Step 1 - Applied:
8y5a4ygy.jpg

Step 2 - Drying Process:
e2eve2ej.jpg

Step 3 - Dried (Showing a section still drying):
juryremy.jpg

For me, if I were to tile onto a fresh skim coat, I'd leave it to get to the fully dry stage then allow another 24 hrs before tiling

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to plaster - how long to dry? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Afternoon everyone, just after a bit of advice on preparing some walls for ceramic, possibly...
Replies
Views
Sorry for asking a question that I already think i know the answer to but I just need...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB