Discuss Plasterboard Primer in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Romelee

TF
Dorset
Hi all,

Looking for some help....

Some Info:

Old tiles: Ceramic 150x150
New tiles: Ceramic 100x300
Adhesive i will be using: Mapei Rapid Set Grey Tile Adhesive (not ready mixed)
Room: Kitchen
Area: 3 foot in height above worktop

I have removed the old tiles which was a nightmare and now i am left with bare plasterboard (they was not skimmed).

Now that the tiles have been removed the plasterboard has a rough kinda furry feel/skin to it, other than that the plasterboard is in good condition, i did not penetrate the plaster to reveal the inside.

I was wondering will it be ok to just tile it as it is or will i need to prime the plasterboard? i know PVA is a no no.

If i do need a primer, I have been looking on B&Q and Homebase as i have two big branches just around the corner from me but for the hell of me i cannot find a primer (to be honest a lot of it goes over my head so they may just sell it)

Looking forward to any help i can get

All the best

Jason

Romelee

TF
Dorset
Many thanks all, think i have found it in B and Q:

Cementone (SBR) Waterproofer 5L
Cementone SBR toughens, waterproofs and improves chemical and abrasion resistance of renders

• Improves adhesion, flexibility and helps reduce cracking
  • Toughens floors and screeds
  • Ideal for damp and wet conditions
  • Improves frost, water, chemical and abrasion resistance
  • Can be used as pointing, patching and bedding, waterproof rendering, tanking and flooring, bonding aid for render and plaster and primer systems
  • Specially modified Styrene Butadiene Co-polymer latex for cement and mortar

Sorry if this sounds silly, is that 3 parts SBR 1 part water? or am i way of the mark:oops:

Thanks for the tip regarding new plasterboard but i think i am going to go ahead and try without new plasterboard as i am pretty much skint right now after doing the whole house up, my only happiness right now is watching the wife trying to get painted woodchip of the non skimmed plastered walls :lol:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Plasterboard Primer in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have the old stock no more ply down unprimed. (Their new stock comes pre-primed). Mapei...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB