Discuss plasterboards in bathrooms in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

L

limco

I haven't been a member on this forum too long, but god knows how many times I have read about people saying it's okay to have plasterboards in bathrooms.
As I have mentioned already, I am a tiler over here in Sweden and run my own business, and about 3 years ago- the Swedish tiling association banned the use of plasterboard in bathrooms- as the paper on the plasterboard was causing dampness and mould.
If one little hole in the grout appears, and water gets through to that paper- the mould will only grow in there and build- causing damage and health issues.
Plasterboard once wet will disfigure and hold moisture for a long time , if you seal it it can"t get out.
Insurance companies over here, will not insure any bathroom which has plasterboard on the walls.
Water proof boards are being used now, and of course Waterproofing Membrane, rolled on to these boards 3 times- and sealing tape along the floor and in the corners.
I have seen for myself the damage that plasterboards can do in a bathroom, when I was tearing down the wall tiles and plasterboard in this bathroom I was renovating.
I noticed a terrible smell and then I saw the black mould behind the walls and on the plasterboard.
I had to get the building inspector up and do tests- and I was told to remove all the all the platerboard and insolation and put a dehuidifier in there for 2 weeks.

I know we have different rules over here in Sweden, than the ones we still have in Britain- but it does make sense- know what I mean ?

L

limco

i understand were your coming from , is this all plaster boards in sweden . i.e the green boards moisture resistant
They are Extruderad polystyren, cement based or fiber glass.........I use the ones on the photo

Nyhet_L.jpg

L

limco

It's really went crazy over here with people- that they only want licensed tilers to do the work, as licensed tilers are the ones with the bathroom certificates- and these certificates are giving to the customers when the job has been finished, and it proves to the Insurance company that the work has been done by the Swedish tiling rules.
One pays £600 a year for a membership with the Swedish Tiling association & you must pass 3 tests to get your membership.
Don't get me wrong, there are still people who are getting cowboys to do thier bathrooms- but no certificate will be giving out- they just want it done cheap.
But at my last Tiling meeting, we were told that 90% of Insurance claims were from people who did the bathroom themselves or by non licensed tilers.
No certificate, then no insurance- it's just getting so tougher over here.

Somerset
So do we really need more regulation? :yikes: Who enforces it? Who pays for it? Is this yet another cost for Mr and Mrs Average wage and struggling to pay for anything? Do we require a tiling diploma? And of course the Government will also introduce a DIY-Fast-Track-Qualify-To-Certify-Tiling-In-A-Week Qualification for Bob The Cowboy Builder. :incazzato:

And why do we have all these British Standards, Building Regulations et al?

And why not introduce a 24,000 page European Directive on correct tiling procedures that will cost 62billion Euros to introduce, and 47billion Euros a year to maintain.

Dont get me wrong - I always support anything that will genuinely improve professional work whether it is cleaning loos, tiling bathrooms, or installing the electrics. But we have become part of an institution of self perpetuating busybody regulatory dynamics - meaning that we simply have to intricate and complicate everything.

Never mind Heineken, but if BMW did tiling would they have 16 computers monitoring moisture levels in the bathroom.... :drool5:

How I love a good rant :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

And of course the Government will also introduce a DIY-Fast-Track-Qualify-To-Certify-Tiling-In-A-Week Qualification for Bob The Cowboy

+1 m8.

Although I think such institutions already exist in the private sector. Not having a go at them as their really only filling a void created by past and previous governments who make it nigh on impossible for a sole trader to take on an apprentice given the amount of red tape involved. This used to be the route into the trades and the lifeblood of the construction industry , but with the free movement of labour and the rest of it , they've killed that route off.

My rant over

Diggy :0)

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to plasterboards in bathrooms in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB