UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Plastering and tiling over existing tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

UK
Some helpful advice/opinion would be appreciated... Existing tiles on walls, some of the walls we want new tiles on and others we want plastered ready for painting. Can anyone tell me how much longer it would take to remove the tiles and make good the wall then plaster and/or re-tile compared to leaving the old tiles on and plastering or tiling over them? If you could give me pros/cons to both approaches that would be great too! Thank you

Some helpful advice/opinion would be appreciated... Existing tiles on walls, some of the walls we want new tiles on and others we want plastered ready for painting. Can anyone tell me how much longer it would take to remove the tiles and make good the wall then plaster and/or re-tile compared to leaving the old tiles on and plastering or tiling over them? If you could give me pros/cons to both approaches that would be great too! Thank you
Like @Dan has said, we would recommend pulling it all down and then putting up a tile backer board which is a lightweight cement fibre board meant for creating a flat surface to tile onto. Our preferred brands are Marmox Multiboard and Orbry Board. These boards can be fixed to the wall with screws or with adhesive.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Plastering and tiling over existing tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Seems alot of talk that 20kg per mtr2 is the max weight limit for plaster. Few questions 1. its...
Replies
Views
    • Useful
Hi, Im looking for a recommendation for a liquid tanking. I have to use a liquid tanking...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.