UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss please confirm order of floor install i am using is enough/correct spec. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

Jas007

Tiler has spec'ed 1) 10mm Cement Tile Backer Insulation Boards - 2) UFH Mat with Latex - 3) Adhesive - 4) Ditra Mat - 5) Adhesive - 6) 12mm (600 x 400mm) Marble tiles.
I am tiling through and one room is concrete subfloor (newly laid using steel mesh and kingspan below and sides for expansion).

I am NOT using an expansion joint where concrete subfloor meets wooden subfloor as wood floor according to tiler is solid enough and using above spec.

existing wooden subfloor is 400 mm between joists (2" X 8") with 18mm chipboard.

Would do you guys agree with my tiler?

Thanks and regards

J

Jas007

many thanks for advice... My kitchen and diner were separate rooms and I knocked the parting wall through - they are concrete and wood substrates respectively. I levelled the concrete floor with wood subfloor using some latex then tiled both rooms through with ceramic tiles 16" X 16" using tile adhesive. Did NOT use tile backer boards, no ditra and no expansion joints. The ceramic tiles and grout has been fine for two years used by a family of five including teenagers.

So my question is what different is that from my Hall (wooden subfloor) and garage conversion (concrete subfloor)? In fact would you agree it will be "safer" than kitchen / diner? As will be using ditra, 10mm cement backer boards and flexible adhesives.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
You wont get a tiler on here to tell you not to use an expansion joint where two different substrates meet. Especially two different ones with so much difference in expansion/retraction rates and deflection rates.

If you don't want to physically see a movement joint then make sure a 'grout' line falls right where you need it, and then silicone the grout joint using the same colour silicone as the grout. You'll hardly tell its there unless you study it. Mapei grouts match their silicones (or the other way around) perfectly.

You've been lucky with your existing situation. Using flexible levelling compound throughout would have helped with that (if I'm reading that right) but it isn't fail-free yet it's only been down a couple of years and only seen hot/cold times of the year twice. Give it another few years and you probably will see some damage occurring - at a guess.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
You wont get a tiler on here to tell you not to use an expansion joint where two different substrates meet. Especially two different ones with so much difference in expansion/retraction rates and deflection rates.

If you don't want to physically see a movement joint then make sure a 'grout' line falls right where you need it, and then silicone the grout joint using the same colour silicone as the grout. You'll hardly tell its there unless you study it. Mapei grouts match their silicones (or the other way around) perfectly.

You've been lucky with your existing situation. Using flexible levelling compound throughout would have helped with that (if I'm reading that right) but it isn't fail-free yet it's only been down a couple of years and only seen hot/cold times of the year twice. Give it another few years and you probably will see some damage occurring - at a guess.

Spot on.

I don't understand what the problem is. It's not hard to do, it's not complicated. But it does give you piece of mind when the it's all said an done.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to please confirm order of floor install i am using is enough/correct spec. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
We are having some issues with our newly laid tiles. Within several weeks of being laid, we...
Replies
Views
David John
D
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Had wet system UFH installed on a concrete subfloor to the whole ground floor ie living room...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.