UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Please help........ in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

Forest5

I've tried to grout my floor tiles 3 time now :mad2: and it's not working out for me.

The first time i used wall grout (duh) and it started to crack

The second time i used B&Q ready mixed (flexible) white floor tile grout 3.75kg and got it to wet, as i was trying to get rid of the excess and the grout turned sandy.

The third and final time i used the same stuff but only used a damp sponge to wipe the excess off and it was not as bad as the first attempt but it was not white (like it said on the tub) and started to crack.

My tiles have been 'stuck' down ok and everything is fine except for the grout, i'm sick of scapping it up.

Please help, i've removed all the old grout and am taking the 'white' grout back to B&Q. Also i have brought a sealer (Spray) for the grout when it is done. I'm NO expert, but i believe i can do it i just need to know what product.

Hope you can help

F

Forest5

Floor grout

I've tried to grout my floor tiles 3 time now :mad2: and it's not working out for me.

The first time i used wall grout (duh) and it started to crack

The second time i used B&Q ready mixed (flexible) white floor tile grout 3.75kg and got it to wet, as i was trying to get rid of the excess and the grout turned sandy.

The third and final time i used the same stuff but only used a damp sponge to wipe the excess off and it was not as bad as the first attempt but it was not white (like it said on the tub) and started to crack.

My tiles have been 'stuck' down ok and everything is fine except for the grout, i'm sick of scapping it up.

Please help, i've removed all the old grout and am taking the 'white' grout back to B&Q. Also i have brought a sealer (Spray) for the grout when it is done. I'm NO expert, but i believe i can do it i just need to know what product.

Hope you can help​

Hi there Forest,
Just ask the tile shop you got the tiles from for a grout to use on floors or any other reputable Tile shop, it will also depend on the joint size and the area or conditions the floor will be exposed to, you should have about 3mm then use a fine textured grout otherwise if greater than 3mm then a good sanded grout will be fine.
But if whatever grout you have already tried has gone hard but cracked, it may have cracked becaused you have used too much water in the grout and/or there is too much deflection in the floor. How extensive is the cracking? Was the hardened grout easy to rake out i.e. soft and chalky?
Oh and btw :welcome:

F

Forest5

Hi Bobbyynz

Thanks for the reply.

The lastest one i did it was soft and chalky, but think thats cause i did it last night. Think the space is only just a bit bigger than 3mm.

The grout was ready made, so dont think too much water was the issue, may be wrong though lol.

I have not got a clue, but it is really bugging me, cause i know i can do it. Think the ready made stuff i got is rubbish. Just want flexible floor tile grout that is actually white lol.

Thanks again for the advice

I've never used ready mixed grout but one of the others might know about the stuff you have used. Check the use by date. Have you checked for any deflection i.e up and down movement in the floor? what sort of tiles are they, Porcelain?
just seen your next post, yes if it were me i'd go get some powdered grout and mix but you should give it a go yourself if you want to.
oh the crack a line in the grout, it could just be a bit of shrinkage, in that case just take your time and firstly read the instructions on the bagged grout and get the mixing right start by grouting a small area first and let the grout firm up a bit then if it appears to be some shrinkage then go over again with grout and let it firm a little before washing, It will depend on the type of tile as to how long b4 washing off. Let that dry till the next day and if its a success then get on with the rest of the floor.
It might take you some time to get it right but it will be worth it:thumbsup:

I wouldn't grout over top as the two lots of grout wont bond properly, you will unfortunately have to cut out the grout, should still be fairly chalky so just use a stanley knife to cut it out and vacuum the joints thoroughly just be carefull not to chip the edges.
If you use the bagged grout you have, just follow my advice about making sure the grout lines are full and allowing to firm up before washing off, i assume you know about washing grout etc, the main thing is to get all those joints full as possible and evenly filled, when washing wiping the face of the tiles is easy. When it starts to dry there will be a bit of grout haze/ residue from the washing water, dont worry as long as its not too heavy it will wipe off with a dry sponge or rag when it has hardened.
You can do it Forest:thumbsup:

Last edited:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Please help........ in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi there. Wondering if anyone can help? We had a path laid using reclaimed quarry tiles on top...
Replies
Views
Been advised to move this post to the uk forum, didn’t realise it was in the USA forum Would...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
After annoying the guys in my local CTD for about an hour looking at samples and agonising on...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Please help........
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.