Discuss ply overlay on chipboard.tiles popping up. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

sw tiling

hi to all that can help me out, havnt been on here for a while so appreciate anyone that can.

last week tiled a bathroom floor, 60x60 galaxy (not granite the man made resin ones), left the job lookin perfect, it was flat as a pancake and level.
The subfloor was chipboard overlaid with 9mm wbp ply supplied by my plumber, it was screwd at 300mm centers and then inbetween each 300center was screwd down just incase, there was no movement at all to worry about.
I used bal apd primer, i used toppfix rapidset flexible as ive never ever had a problem with this adhesive on this substrate with these tiles, grout used was bal superflx wide joint.
went to the job the other day and grout was cracking and two tiles on the main walkthrough the bathroom were popping up and now moving too much, had a look under tile in threshold and the adhesive has bonded to the tile but has cracked and moved away from ply, immediate reaction was :mad2: as ive never had a problem and i know it states you can use this adhesive on ply overlay, i went straight to toppfix who say to me you cant use this adhesive on ply over chipboard as the chipboard under the ply has probably swelled with moisture etc. It states on the bag that it is suitable for ply overlay, if you go into any house you usually have to ply over chipboard or floorboards which is why stupidly ive assumed the adhesive is fine.

To cut a long story short i would normally board a floor with hardibacker but the ply was supplied by my plumber so i used it,

my question is how would you guys overcome this problem? would you take up the popping up tiles and ditra over the ply? or would you use bal fastlex as recommended by topps to solve the problem.

Has this issue ever happend to any of you when tiling over ply screwd into chipboard?

Thanks guys :mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

S

sw tiling

The floor was an upstairs bathroom, the chipboard is screwed into joists.
I didnt see any flex in the chipboard when walked on and only used the 9mm ply as this is what the plumber supplied (big mistake learnt my lesson) normally when i supply my materials i use 12.5mm hardi.
The adhesive does state to prime the plywood.
The guy at the helpline said he thinks the chipboard underneath, altough solidly screwd is swelling with moisture.

P

Perfect Tiling

Apart from using ply that was too thin (don't rely on the plumber...your'e the tiler!!!) why did you use BAL primer when using Topps own adhesive. You should never mix different companies products. If you are using BAL primer then use BAL adhesive and do everything by the book. If you normally use 12.5mm hardi then I would stick with it...It may be more expensive but its cheaper than having to redo the whole job off your own back...sorry but it looks like you will need to lift the lot and start again.

P

PJPro

Apart from using ply that was too thin (don't rely on the plumber...your'e the tiler!!!) why did you use BAL primer when using Topps own adhesive. You should never mix different companies products. If you are using BAL primer then use BAL adhesive and do everything by the book. If you normally use 12.5mm hardi then I would stick with it...It may be more expensive but its cheaper than having to redo the whole job off your own back...sorry but it looks like you will need to lift the lot and start again.
Err. I've used BAL primer with Topps Adhesive. And BAL tanking. Should I expect problems?

Reply to ply overlay on chipboard.tiles popping up. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am trying to achieve a low floor build up including wet UFH over a new suspended timber...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I’m ripping out a failed existing tiled floor. Tiles had not been back buttered so...
Replies
Views
Looking for some technical advice on these tiles please. Our installers fitted this CaPietra...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
ply overlay on chipboard.tiles popping up.
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.