Discuss Plywood in tiling in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

O

Ollie02948

I used ply about 3 years ago on a job. It was a small bathroom floor approx 5sqm. Over boarded with 18mm ply. Customer phoned up about four months later saying floor had hairline crack of about 18inch on a tile. It had done it where two sheets of ply had joined together. I ripped up whole floor reboarded with hardie and then re tiled. It's been fine ever since, I learnt the hard way, I still don't understand why people don't take the advice of not using it.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
I wouldnt use ply, only as a underlay for cement boards.
Ive never used ditra though, how is a mm or so of plastic going to stop tiles cracking if the ply swells ? Wouldnt screwing of cement board be better, at least if the ply gets damp the screws and glue would stop it from moving to much, id not ditra only guaranteed for a mm or so of movement ?
Just curious in my little head that is all !

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Plywood in tiling in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, I recently purchased my first property and the existing kitchen floor porcelain tiles were...
Replies
Views
We just had a 1.5 sq. m area of floor tiled professionally in our ensuite. The base floor is 18...
Replies
Views
Ok. Basically am i tilng right/prepping correctly? Full time professional tiler, nearly 15...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB