Discuss Plywood walls in bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

Dr_Gonzo

Our builder has just finished our renovation project and he has boarded the bathroom out with plywood. After some research I now know that this is far from the ideal surface to tile onto. The ceramic tiles we have are pretty large (900x300) and are 10mm thick. It's quite a large bathroom (i.e. several sheets of ply) and we have a concealed shower recessed into the wall. Given the plywood is in, what is our best option now?

martin1c

TF
Arms
Cheshire
For what it is worth, your best bet is to replace/overboard. Those size tiles will have cost you a small fortune so you'll want the best chance of them staying up on the walls for years to come. Removing/replacing the ply won't take long and doesn't cost much. A sheet of plasterboard is only £6. I'll bet it could all be replaced/boarded over within a day

S

Stef

Im with Martin on this one.

Your builder would have already strapped out the walls to take the plywood so you should be able to fix the plasterboard straight onto these, (almost)

The only thing you might find is that a sheet of plywood is 1220mm X 2440mm, (if he has used full sheets) so your stud/straps will be set for this, if this is the case then just fix an additional length of wood onto the side of the existing legs to carry the sheets.

Its not a hard job replacing the plywood, it will be a harder & more expensive job if you fix those tiles to ply in a humid environment like a bathroom.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Plywood walls in bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
We had our loft bathroom done a month ago and are having issues with the tiler (recommended on a...
Replies
Views
Vinny Kehoe
V
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB